Last week numerous indicators enhanced economic uncertainty in the US, sending the Dow Jones Industrial Average to its longest streak in nearly seven years and all 10 of the S&P 500 Index groups down.
Enhanced economic uncertainty was primarily driven by three major forces. The first was a decline in the Conference Board’s measure of consumer confidence. For the month of May, the index dropped by nearly 7.9% from the month before reaching a six month low. Furthermore, the Conference Board indicated that consumers remain overly pessimistic about the labor markets during the next six months.
The second troublesome number came from the real estate sector. A decline in the Case-Shiller home price index of 3.6 percent year over year indicates that the housing market has reached a second bottom. The flood of foreclosures and bank-owned homes to the market has likely resulted in a supply shock pushing home prices down.
The third major driver in increased ambiguity in the country’s economic health came from a weaker than expected employment report, which pushed the nation’s unemployment rate to 9.1%. According to the Labor Department, employers added a less-than-projected 54,000 jobs last month marking the slowest monthly growth in payroll in eight months. Furthermore, some employers plan to continue to cut headcount such as U.S. milk producer Dean Foods Co. (NYSE:DF) and ketchup maker H.J. Heinz Co (NYSE:HNZ).
Weaknesses in the labor market are likely to be the largest factor in increased uncertainty as that consumer spending comprises nearly 70 percent of US GDP and consumer spending will most likely decline as the labor market weakens. At the end of the day, employment growth is the fuel of the US economy.
Some other notable weak US economic numbers include a drop in the Institute for Supply Management’s business barometer to its lowest level since November 2009 and a decline in durable goods orders by 3.6 percent from the previous month, marking its largest decline in six months and a cool off in the manufacturing industry.
In a nutshell, the overall confidence in the nation’s economic health remains wary as data suggests that the nation has lost its economic growth momentum and has many investors and consumers wary of the near term future.
Some ways to play this uncertainty include:
* SPDR Gold Shares (NYSE:GLD), gold has historically been a safe haven asset in times of uncertainty and will likely continue to do so
* ProShares Short S&P 500 (NYSE:SH), which is an inverse ETF that seeks to move in the opposite direction of the S&P 500.
* ProShares VIX Short-Term Futures (NYSE:VIXY), which seeks to replicate the performance of the S&P 500 VIX with a weighted average term of one month.
* The VIX is a well-known measure of the expected short-term volatility of the S&P 500 Index and tends to increase when anxiety in the US economy rises. ProShares VIX Mid-Term Futures (NYSE:VIXM), which seeks to replicate the performance of the S&P 500 VIX with a weighted average term of 5 months.
Disclosure: No Positions
Kevin Grewal is the founder, editor and publisher of ETF Tutor.
- AT&T And America Movil To Provide Deeper National Reach For Advanced Enterprise Services Across Latin America
- AT&T 4G LTE Available In Willimantic
- AT&T 4G LTE Available In Torrington
- AT&T And The University Of Kansas Team Up To Enhance Wireless Coverage On Lawrence Campus
- AT&T 4G LTE Available In Fargo
- AT&T 4G LTE Available In Amarillo
- Benefitfocus Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering
- Trends of China Gear Industry 2013 Analysis & Reviewed in New Research Report at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Product Launch Formula 4.0 Bonuses Total $5000 at BrianHanson.com
- Datex Presents Motorola Solutions Webinar “Is It ‘Smart’ to Use Smartphones for the Enterprise?”
Related Partner Headlines
Recent Trading Ideas
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:18,096.90 Trade time:4:35PM EST Value change:▼106.47 (-0.58%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:2,098.53 Trade time:4:35PM EST Value change:▼9.25 (-0.44%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:4,967.14 Trade time:5:15PM EST Value change:▼12.76 (-0.26%)
In The Wires
GW Pharmaceuticals Commences Phase 1 Clinical Trial of GWP42006 as a Potential Treatment for Epilepsy
NTT Communications and JBA's SDN Project Wins IBC 2013 Innovation Award
Frost & Sullivan Honours Interactive Intelligence with its EMEA Contact Centre Company of the Year Award
AT&T And America Movil To Provide Deeper National Reach For Advanced Enterprise Services Across Latin America
$500,000 Shopify Build a Business Competition Has Just Been Announced for 2013
Solomon Associates Hydrocarbon Loss Reduction Seminar Shares Practices that Lead to Significant Savings
AT&T 4G LTE Available In Willimantic
AT&T 4G LTE Available In Torrington