4 ETFs To Play Increased Economic Uncertainty (GLD, SH, VIXM, VIXY)
Published on Sunday, 05 June 2011 09:40 Written by Kevin Grewal
Last week numerous indicators enhanced economic uncertainty in the US, sending the Dow Jones Industrial Average to its longest streak in nearly seven years and all 10 of the S&P 500 Index groups down.
Enhanced economic uncertainty was primarily driven by three major forces. The first was a decline in the Conference Board’s measure of consumer confidence. For the month of May, the index dropped by nearly 7.9% from the month before reaching a six month low. Furthermore, the Conference Board indicated that consumers remain overly pessimistic about the labor markets during the next six months.
The second troublesome number came from the real estate sector. A decline in the Case-Shiller home price index of 3.6 percent year over year indicates that the housing market has reached a second bottom. The flood of foreclosures and bank-owned homes to the market has likely resulted in a supply shock pushing home prices down.
The third major driver in increased ambiguity in the country’s economic health came from a weaker than expected employment report, which pushed the nation’s unemployment rate to 9.1%. According to the Labor Department, employers added a less-than-projected 54,000 jobs last month marking the slowest monthly growth in payroll in eight months. Furthermore, some employers plan to continue to cut headcount such as U.S. milk producer Dean Foods Co. (NYSE:DF) and ketchup maker H.J. Heinz Co (NYSE:HNZ).
Weaknesses in the labor market are likely to be the largest factor in increased uncertainty as that consumer spending comprises nearly 70 percent of US GDP and consumer spending will most likely decline as the labor market weakens. At the end of the day, employment growth is the fuel of the US economy.
Some other notable weak US economic numbers include a drop in the Institute for Supply Management’s business barometer to its lowest level since November 2009 and a decline in durable goods orders by 3.6 percent from the previous month, marking its largest decline in six months and a cool off in the manufacturing industry.
In a nutshell, the overall confidence in the nation’s economic health remains wary as data suggests that the nation has lost its economic growth momentum and has many investors and consumers wary of the near term future.
Some ways to play this uncertainty include:
* SPDR Gold Shares (NYSE:GLD), gold has historically been a safe haven asset in times of uncertainty and will likely continue to do so
* ProShares Short S&P 500 (NYSE:SH), which is an inverse ETF that seeks to move in the opposite direction of the S&P 500.
* ProShares VIX Short-Term Futures (NYSE:VIXY), which seeks to replicate the performance of the S&P 500 VIX with a weighted average term of one month.
* The VIX is a well-known measure of the expected short-term volatility of the S&P 500 Index and tends to increase when anxiety in the US economy rises. ProShares VIX Mid-Term Futures (NYSE:VIXM), which seeks to replicate the performance of the S&P 500 VIX with a weighted average term of 5 months.
Disclosure: No Positions
Kevin Grewal is the founder, editor and publisher of ETF Tutor.
- SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Levi & Korsinsky, LLP Notifies Investors of Claims of Breaches of Fiduciary Duty by the Board of H.J. Heinz Company in Connection With the Sale of the Company to a Consortium
- H.J. Heinz Company (HNZ) Investor Lawsuit to Halt Takeover by Berkshire Hathaway announced by Shareholders Foundation
- The Law Firm of Levi & Korsinsky, LLP Announces Investigation into Possible Breaches of Fiduciary Duty by the Board of H.J. Heinz Company in Connection with the Sale of the Company to a Consortium
- Ryan & Maniskas, LLP Announces Investigation of H. J. Heinz Company
- H. J. Heinz Company Shareholder Alert: Bernstein Liebhard LLP Announces Investigation Of Acquisition By Berkshire Hathaway And 3G Capital
- Buyout Of Heinz - Law Firm Seeks Higher Price For Shareholders
Related Partner Headlines
- HJ Heinz Reaches New 52-Week High (HNZ) - TheStreet.com
- UPDATE: Goldman Sachs Upgrades Dean Foods to Buy on Spin-Offs - Benzinga
- Market Keeps Falling, but Losses Small on Thursday - Benzinga
- The Winners And Losers Of QE3 (LEN, HD, MON, GLD, AZN) - Investopedia
- Stocks Plummet Amid Worries About Europe, Fiscal Cliff - Benzinga
- Heinz Boosts Board to 13 Directors; Adds Franck Moison - Benzinga
- U.S. Stock Market Closes Lower; Dow Loses 59 Points - Benzinga
- Resource Alert Briefing November 12th: Lower Lows With a Positive Close and European Perspective - TheStreet.com
- Stocks Close Unchanged to Start Week - Benzinga
- Dean Foods Company Stock Upgraded (DF) - TheStreet.com
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,238.66 Trade time:11:29AM EDT Value change:▼55.84 (-0.37%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,642.01 Trade time:11:29AM EDT Value change:▼8.50 (-0.51%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,440.82 Trade time:11:29AM EDT Value change:▼18.60 (-0.54%)
In The Wires
Allstate Assisting Oklahoma Policyholders Cleaning Up After Tornadoes
Tupperware Brands Corporation Declares Quarterly Dividend
Boston Scientific To Participate In The 38th Annual Deutsche Bank 2013 Healthcare Conference
Food 4 Less/Foods Co Stores announce fundraising campaign to 'Honor Our Troops'
Ralphs to Honor Our Troops
L.B. Foster Company Declares Quarterly Dividend
Grupo Simec, S.A.B. de C.V. announces repurchases of its own shares
Kellogg Commits Support For Residents Of Moore, Okla.