AT&T Marches Toward 15,000 Cleaner-Fuel Fleet Vehicles
Published on Friday, 24 February 2012 10:37 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
AT&T's Connecticut Fleet Has Grown to More than 270 Cleaner-Fuel Vehicles, Including 128 in the Hartford Area
HARTFORD, Conn., Feb. 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- U.S. Congressman John Larson (D-CT) today joined AT&T* Connecticut state president Rodney Smith to recognize AT&T's commitment of up to $565 million to deploy approximately 15,000 alternative fuel vehicles (AFV) nationwide over a 10 year period through 2018. This initiative features one of the largest U.S. corporate commitments to compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles to date, and includes hybrid and electric vehicle deployments. In Connecticut, 274 AFVs have been deployed to date, including 229 CNGs, while more than 6,000 have been deployed nationwide.
"I'm encouraged to see companies like AT&T take the lead in moving towards cleaner, alternative-fuel vehicles in their fleet," stated Congressman Larson. "I hope other businesses here in Greater Hartford and throughout Connecticut will also recognize the importance of our need to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, and adopt alternative fuel vehicles for their use."
Of the 274 alternative fuel vehicles AT&T has deployed in Connecticut, more than 125 are in Greater Hartford.
"In a short period of time, we've invested in the deployment of thousands of advanced technology vehicles that promote cleaner air, use less fuel and help AT&T lower its operating costs," said Rodney Smith, state president, AT&T Connecticut. "While some may see just another car or truck on the road, we think these vehicles represent the shared values of the communities here in Connecticut and throughout the country where we live, work and play."
In 2010, AT&T and other large U.S. fleet operators joined in the Department of Energy's Clean Cities' National Clean Fleets Partnership as part of a national challenge launched by President Obama to cut America's petroleum imports by one-third by 2025. Through 2013, AT&T anticipates it will have purchased up to 8,000 CNG vehicles at an estimated cost of $350 million. Additionally, over the life of the commitment, AT&T expects to invest $215 million to replace approximately 7,100 fleet passenger cars with alternative-fuel models.
According to a 2009 Center for Automotive Research report, AT&T's planned alternative-fuel vehicle initiative would:
- Save 49 million gallons of gasoline over the 10-year deployment period
- Reduce carbon emissions by 211,000 metric tons – the greenhouse gas equivalent of removing 38,600 passenger vehicles from the road for one year
More Sustainable Service Garages
Beyond the AFV deployments, AT&T is turning to its service garages to help minimize its environmental footprint and cut operating costs within its overall fleet. These programs include:
- Redirecting an estimated 60,000 old tires annually through a new recycling program that turns old rubber into fuel and consumer products
- Recycling all primary garage products, including 180,000 pounds of oil filters; 200,000 gallons of oil; and 23,000 gallons of antifreeze annually
- Eliminating the purchase of 9,000 pounds of lead annually that were being used to balance new fleet vehicle tires at high speeds
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) is a premier communications holding company. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's fastest mobile broadband network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile broadband and emerging 4G capabilities, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T |DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world. In domestic markets, AT&T Advertising Solutions and AT&T Interactive are known for their leadership in local search and advertising.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT.
© 2012 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. Mobile broadband not available in all areas. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.
SOURCE AT&T Inc.
- Bulls taking over on Regal-Beloit?
- Is Regal-Beloit Trade Over?
- Bulls and Bears on the Trenches of Regal-Beloit
- Are the Bears Taking Control over Regal-Beloit?
- Regal Beloit Corporation To Present At The Morgan Stanley Industrials & Autos Conference
- Regal-Beloit, Reversal Soon?
- Regal-Beloit Upside Looming?
- Bulls taking Control of Regal-Beloit?
- Regal Beloit Corporation To Present At The Jefferies 2013 Global Industrials Conference
- Regal-Beloit Formed a Bearish Engulfing Candle
Related Partner Headlines
Recent Trading Ideas
Latest Partner Headlines