Fed Hurt Gold, But Helped Oil
Published on Wednesday, 29 February 2012 18:22 Written by Todd Shriber
New York, February 29th (TradersHuddle.com) – It was comments, or lack thereof, from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke regarding a third quantitative easing package that slammed gold today. However, the Fed’s Beige Book report, among other economic data points, helped oil snap a two-day losing streak. NYMEX-traded West Texas Intermediate added 52 cents to close at $107.07 a barrel. In London, Brent crude added $1.11 to finish at $122.66. Brent finished February higher by 10.5% while WTI added almost 9% for the month.
U.S. crude inventories leaped 4.16 million barrels in the week to February 24, up for a second straight week, the U.S. Energy Information Administration said, according to Reuters. That’s well above the increase of 1.1 million barrels analysts expected. While oil demand remains slack, the Commerce Department did revise its fourth-quarter GDP growth estimate to 3% growth from 2.8%. The U.S. economy grew at a pace of 1.8% in the third quarter of 2011.
The Institute for Supply Management-Chicago's business index rose to 64 in February from 60.2 in January, beating the reading of 61.5 economists expected. Both data points helped oil’s cause on the day when stocks were lower, and the U.S. dollar index was higher.
Despite weak demand and higher output from OPEC, oil prices remain stubbornly high, indicating it is, in fact, speculators that are controlling the market. OPEC has reportedly pumped more crude this month than any month since October 2008, Reuters reported. Libya has restored some of its lost production and other member states looked to take advantage of high prices by increasing production.
Weakness in the Dow Jones Industrial Average weighed on Exxon Mobil (NYSE: XOM) and Chevron (NYSE: CVX) today, but on the bright side for Chevron, the stock is just pennies away from a new 52-week high and Deutsche Bank raised its rating on the stock to "buy" from "hold" today while boosting its price target to $130 from $115, implying decent upside in the shares. ConocoPhillips (NYSE: COP), the third-largest U.S. oil company, lost almost 1% today. Deutsche upgraded that name earlier this month.
Independents Anadarko Petroleum (NYSE: APC), Apache (NYSE: APA) and Devon Energy (NYSE: DVN) were all found in the red by the time the closing bell sounded. The Market Vectors Oil Services ETF (NYSE: OIH), the most heavily traded oil services ETF, slid 1.6% on strong volume. That move underscores how pensive investors were regarding equities today because oil services names are usually intimately correlated to crude’s gyrations.
OIH is starting to look technically vulnerable. If the ETF doesn’t find support at its 20-day moving average, it could easily fall another $2-$3. That said a move down to the high $30s makes OIH an appealing buy-on-the-dip candidate.
- Entry points for Exxon
- InterOil And Pacific LNG Group Enter Into Exclusive Negotiations With ExxonMobil On Development Of The Elk And Antelope Resource
- Apache Pledges $500,000 To Build Storm Shelters And Safe Rooms For Oklahoma Schools
- Apache Declares Cash Dividends On Common And Preferred Shares
- Trading Idea: Is Exxon Breaking Out?
- Worst Performing Dow Component: Cisco
- Buying the Dip on Exxon?
- Critical Alerts For Chevron, MGM Mirage, Charter Communications, Quanta Services, and Acadia Released By InvestorsObserver
- Exxon Is Near to the 50 and 200 Day Moving Averages
- TradersHuddle Mid-day Update: Dow Jones Lower Top Performers: AXP, PG, WMT
Related Partner Headlines
- Oil-Stock Rally Is an Opportunity to Sell - TheStreet.com
- Anadarko Petroleum Corp Stock Hold Recommendation Reiterated (APC) - TheStreet.com
- Chevron Corp Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (CVX) - TheStreet.com
- Berkshire Dumps Most of J&J and GE Stakes; Adds Deere & Co. - Benzinga
- ConocoPhillips (COP): Today's Featured Basic Materials Laggard - TheStreet.com
- Dow Today: Chevron (CVX) Lower - TheStreet.com
- Chevron's Shelf Registration Could Signal Acquisition - Benzinga
- Oppenheimer Holdings Reiterates Outperform Rating, $130 PT on Chevron Corporation - Benzinga
- Dow Component Chevron (CVX) To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow - TheStreet.com
- Chevron Stock To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow (CVX) - TheStreet.com
Recent Trading Ideas
Chesapeake Energy Is Close to Resistance
Windstream Is Near its 50 Day Moving Average
Applied Materials Is Close to Resistance
E*TRADE is Near a Key Support Area
First Solar is Near a Key Support Area
Trading Idea: Is Monster Worldwide close to Support?
Trading Idea: - Is Walgreen close to Resistance?
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,303.10 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▲8.60 (0.06%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,649.60 Trade time:4:35PM EDT Value change:▼0.91 (-0.06%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,459.14 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▼0.28 (-0.01%)
In The Wires
Local Freight Trucking in Canada Industry Market Research Report Now Available from IBISWorld
Cheapest Shopping Won't Be Found on Google Says Das Cheap!
Luke Bryan Tickets: Prices Slashed on Luke Bryan Tickets in Raleigh, Bethel, Camden, Peoria, Nashville, Hartford, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, Indianapolis & SaratogaSprings
How to Set Up a Forum Website – Tips and Tutorials for Setting Up Online Forum Websites Announced by ThreeHosts.com
GuestPostingService.co.uk Launches Discounted Guest Posting Packages for SEO Resellers
WindhorseTour Updated Their Most Popular Jiuzhaigou Tour with Songpan Horse Riding
New Bad Credit Auto Loan Website, CarLoanSearch.ca Launches with 100% Acceptance on All Applications
Amerisleep Announces Memorial Day Weekend Memory Foam Mattress Sale Event