Dialing For Dollars
Published on Thursday, 01 March 2012 20:07 Written by Todd Shriber
New York, March 1st (TradersHuddle.com) – Considering that it’s an industry that is home to a couple of the largest most recognizable companies in the U.S. and that it’s an industry whose products are used every day by almost every American the telecommunications sector is arguably an afterthought in the ETF world. Both AT&T (NYSE: T) and Verizon (NYSE: VZ) are members of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, but it often feels, as investors would prefer to own those stocks individually than via ETFs.
That doesn’t mean a fund such as the iShares Dow Jones US Telecom Index Fund (NYSE: IYZ) isn’t worth a look. Year-to-date, the iShares Dow Jones US Telecom Index Fund is only up 4.5%. That’s not even half the returns offered by the S&P 500, but it’s a lot better than what you would have gotten with AT&T or Verizon or those two telecom giants combined.
Home to just 30 stocks, it’s not surprising that AT&T and Verizon account for about 30% of IYZ’s weight. Other top-10 holdings that no pun intended, might ring a bell with investors include CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL), Crown Castle International (NYSE: CCI), Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S) and Windstream (NASDAQ: WIN).
What makes IYZ and rival funds a vexing proposition is that telecom, like consumer staples, health care and utilities, is a defensive sector. Put another way, the current market environment isn’t conducive to being excessively weighted to defensive groups. Yet, on the other hand, staples, health care and utilities ETFs were all solid performers last year. The SPDRs funds tracking those groups all offered double-digit returns, but in the past year, the IYZ is up just half a percent.
Additionally, investors are usually compensated for the lack of growth with stocks like AT&T, Centurylink and Verizon with robust yields. On average, AT&T and Verizon yield 5.5% and are currently two of the highest yielding stocks in the Dow. Centurylink yields a whopping 7.2%. IYZ currently yields about 3%. That’s better than Treasuries and money markets, but not nearly as good as the three stocks that account for over 38% of the ETF’s weight.
At the end, the IYZ isn’t a bad ETF and telecom names won’t always lag the broader market so severely. Right now, perhaps the best thing that can be said of IYZ is that it’s an ETF your grandfather would love, but not one to recommend to someone under 50 years old.
The vitals: IYZ made its debut in May 2000 and now is home to almost $573 million in assets under management. The fund currently rests about 12% below its 52-week high.
- CenturyLink Is in a Well Structured Setup
- AT&T 3G/4G Combo Named Best for Speed and Value
- AT&T 4G LTE Takes Top Spot In Boston In 2013 PCWorld/TechHive Speed Tests
- Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Network Expands In Buffalo
- AT&T 4G LTE Takes Top Spot In Washington, DC In 2013 PCWorld/TechHive Speed Tests
- AT&T 4G LTE Takes Top Spot In Philadelphia In 2013 PCWorld/TechHive Speed Tests
- New International Packages Deliver More Choice and Value
- AT&T 4G LTE Takes Top Spot in Ann Arbor in 2013 PCWorld/TechHive Speed Tests
- Close to the 50 Day Moving Average: Verizon
- CenturyLink to receive additional Connect America Funds
Related Partner Headlines
- Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
- Taxes Coming? Take a Deep Breath and Do Nothing for Now - TheStreet.com
- Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Lower - TheStreet.com
- CenturyLink Inc Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (CTL) - TheStreet.com
- AT&T Offers iPad Mini - Benzinga
- Verizon Communications Inc (VZ): Today's Featured Technology Laggard - TheStreet.com
- AT&T Inc (T): Today's Featured Telecommunications Laggard - TheStreet.com
- Fiscal Cliff Fears Are Hammering These ETFs - Benzinga
- CenturyLink Inc (CTL): Today's Featured Telecommunications Laggard - TheStreet.com
- Verizon Announces Expiration and Final Results of Tender Offer for 8.95% Notes Due 2039 - Benzinga
Recent Trading Ideas
Chesapeake Energy Is Close to Resistance
Windstream Is Near its 50 Day Moving Average
Applied Materials Is Close to Resistance
E*TRADE is Near a Key Support Area
First Solar is Near a Key Support Area
Trading Idea: Is Monster Worldwide close to Support?
Trading Idea: - Is Walgreen close to Resistance?
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,303.10 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▲8.60 (0.06%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,649.60 Trade time:4:35PM EDT Value change:▼0.91 (-0.06%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,459.14 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▼0.28 (-0.01%)
In The Wires
U.S. Gold Coin Sales Increase Despite Floundering Gold Coin Prices, Reports Gold Coin
Singapore Escort Services Launches New Classifieds Service for Both Female & Male Escorts
PokerChipsWest Offers the Largest Sale of the Year for Father's Day
Slow Healing: Cell Therapy in the US Industry Market Research Report Now Available from IBISWorld
Software Company Anahata Launches On-Site Custom Software Assessment Campaign
Austria Cards and Payments Industry Expected to Grow at US$58.9 Billion By 2017 in New Research Report at RnRMarketResearch.com
Destin, FL Hotel Coupon and Promo Codes
Volkswagen Polo GT Serves Indian Market as A Brand New Treat, Reports Gaadi.com