Honeywell Helps Western Virginia Water Authority Reduce Costs and Carbon Dioxide Emissions Through Metering and Facilities Upgrades
Published on Monday, 19 March 2012 08:13 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
Residential and Commercial Water Meter Replacements, and Building Improvements Won't Increase Budgets
MINNEAPOLIS, March 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Honeywell (NYSE: HON) today announced a water metering and infrastructure renewal program with the Western Virginia Water Authority (Authority) in Roanoke, Va. The plan will upgrade water meters across the Authority's customer base and enhance energy efficiency at its facilities. Backed by a guaranteed system-wide water infrastructure improvement program with Honeywell, the $32-million project aims to increase meter accuracy, improve leak detection and reduce carbon dioxide emissions for the Authority — all without adverse impact to its operating budget.
The upgrades are expected to help the Authority save more than $1 million in annual electricity and operational costs, and add approximately $1.5 million in revenue through increased water meter accuracy, which is guaranteed by Honeywell. As a result, the improvements aren't expected to increase budgets or require additional taxpayer dollars to fund the capital outlay.
"Our previous water meter operation was essentially manual, leaving us with an unclear picture of how much water was lost due to leaks in customers' homes and our system," said Gary Robertson, Executive Director for Water Operations at the Western Virginia Water Authority. "The Honeywell upgrades are focused on helping us better manage our water supply and improve leak detection, which, in turn, will translate into better customer service."
Under the Honeywell program, technicians will replace approximately 58,000 residential and commercial water meters with new electronic meters that wirelessly transmit real-time readings back to the Authority. The new electronic meters are expected to improve meter accuracy, help identify leaks and eliminate bi-monthly estimation of residential meter readings. Although meters will not need to be manually read with the new system, there will be no loss of Authority jobs as staff will work on other projects within the organization.
Honeywell will also install a data management system to provide the Authority with a single, centralized view of its water systems, as well as enhanced detail previously unavailable, including hourly customer consumption data. In addition, the new zone-metering capabilities will help the Authority more effectively identify potential leaks in its water system and reduce water loss.
Along with the metering system upgrades, the program will include energy retrofits and other conservation measures at Authority facilities, including its pump stations and four main water supply plants. Honeywell will perform the following upgrades:
- Thermostat replacements
- Temperature control retrofits
- Pump replacements
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) upgrades
- Lighting improvements
- Peak-shaving generator installations
The water meter and building improvements are expected to have a sizeable impact for the Authority from a sustainability standpoint. The upgrades will trim its electricity use by nearly 5 million kilowatt-hours annually and decrease carbon dioxide emissions by an estimated 8.8 million pounds per year. According to figures from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, this is equivalent to removing more than 780 cars from the road.
"For water providers, accurately monitoring and measuring water use is paramount to reducing waste and improving efficiency," said Paul Orzeske, President of Honeywell Building Solutions. "By upgrading to newer, more advanced meters, the Western Virginia Water Authority is taking strides to account for a greater portion of its water supply, which should help to reduce both the strain on its own bottom line and overall costs for customers."
Honeywell International (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes and industry; automotive products; turbochargers; and specialty materials. Based in Morris Township, N.J., Honeywell's shares are traded on the New York, London, and Chicago Stock Exchanges. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com. Honeywell Building Solutions is part of the Honeywell Automation and Control Solutions business group, a global leader in providing product and service solutions that improve efficiency and profitability, support regulatory compliance, and maintain safe, comfortable environments in homes, buildings and industry. For more information about Building Solutions, access www.honeywell.com/buildingsolutions.
This release contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. All statements, other than statements of fact, that address activities, events or developments that we or our management intend, expect, project, believe or anticipate will or may occur in the future are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on management's assumptions and assessments in light of past experience and trends, current conditions, expected future developments and other relevant factors. They are not guarantees of future performance, and actual results, developments and business decisions may differ from those envisaged by our forward-looking statements. Our forward-looking statements are also subject to risks and uncertainties, which can affect our performance in both the near- and long-term. We identify the principal risks and uncertainties that affect our performance in our Form 10-K and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Honeywell's New HTF7350 Engine To Power Bombardier Challenger 350
- EBACE 2013: Honeywell Aerospace Highlights Momentum In Europe, Middle East For Aircraft Upgrades
- Honeywell to Present at Sanford C. Bernstein Strategic Decisions Conference
- Honeywell's UOP Selected To Provide Technology For World's Largest On-Purpose Propylene Production Facility, Located On U.S. Gulf Coast
- Honeywell Aerospace WINS $72.4 Million Heavy vehicle maintenance contract for U.S. army
- Honeywell To Present At Electrical Products Group Conference
- Statement from David M. Cote, Chairman and CEO of Honeywell, on President Obama's Nomination of Mike Froman as United States Trade Representative
- Honeywell's UOP Russell Technology And Equipment To Extract Petrochemical Feedstocks From High-Value Natural Gas Liquids
- World's Leading Automotive Engineering Organization Reconfirms That Honeywell's Low-Global-Warming Refrigerant Is 'Safe and Effective'
- Honeywell Acquires RAE Systems, A Leading Global Gas Detection Company
Related Partner Headlines
- Honeywell International Stock To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow (HON) - TheStreet.com
- Honeywell International Inc. (HON): Today's Featured Industrial Goods Laggard - TheStreet.com
- Honeywell International Stock Hits New 52-Week High (HON) - TheStreet.com
- Honeywell International Inc. (HON): Today's Featured Aerospace/Defense Winner - TheStreet.com
- Honeywell Awarded $181 Million Navy Contract For Performance Based Logistics And Maintenance Program On Global Aircraft Fleet - Benzinga
- Honeywell, Tinker Air Force Base Launch $80.6M Efficiency Project - Benzinga
- Honeywell Recieves $221M in Contracts From US Army - Benzinga
- Honeywell International Inc. Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (HON) - TheStreet.com
- Honeywell International Reaches New 52-Week High (HON) - TheStreet.com
- Honeywell International's Third Quarter Earnings Report - Investopedia
Recent Trading Ideas
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,354.40 Trade time:4:40PM EDT Value change:0.00 (0.00%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,667.47 Trade time:4:39PM EDT Value change:0.00 (0.00%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,498.97 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:0.00 (0.00%)
In The Wires
Next Generation Corporation Signs Agreement to Acquire Lease in Prolific Oil and Gas Region of West Virginia
Energy Edge Technologies Corporation (EEDG) Announces How 'Swee' it is Exclusive Distribution Deal With CRISP Watermelon Drink, LLC for Cu'i Watermelon Drink (pronounced 'swee.')
Promithian Global Ventures Inc. Warburton Project Update
Mandalay Digital Launches Digital Turbine Ignite in Turkey with Avea
/C O R R E C T I O N -- SORL Auto Parts, Inc./
AVT Targets Property Managers and Developers
ATK Successfully Completes First U.S.-Based Testing of High Performance Green Propulsion (HPGP) Thruster Technology for NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC)
McCormick & Company To Present At Sanford C. Bernstein's Strategic Decisions Conference