Microsoft Forming a Flag Pattern
Published on Monday, 30 April 2012 16:35 Written by David Becker
New York, April 30th (TradersHuddle.com) – Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT), which reported earnings in mid April, has seen little follow through after beating on the top line and bottom line. The company reported EPS of $0.60 on revenue of $17.41 billion. The street was expecting $0.58 on $17.18 billion. Monday's weaker than expected Chicago PMI was a drag on many tech stocks, but news that the software giant will invest $300 million in Barnes & Noble’s digital eBook business, helped the stock edge a gain.
The stock price is creating a flag pattern after gapping higher after earnings. The gap that was created after the company reported has now been filled. Price action has taken the stock down to support near the 50-day moving average near $32.00. A break of this level would likely see a test of support levels near the 20-day moving average at $31.
Resistance on the large tech stock is seen near the recent highs at $33 per share. This coincided with the upper end of the Bollinger band using a 20-day moving average and a 2-standard deviation range.
Momentum on the stock has recently declined after the MACD made a buy signal after earnings in late April. The spread (the 12-day moving average minus the 26-day moving average) crossed above the 9-day moving average of the spread. The index on the MACD remains in positive territory, just below the highs seen in late March.
The RSI (relative strength index) which measures overbought and oversold levels is printing near 54, which is very close to the middle of the neutral range. Recent resistance near $33 coincided with a peak in the RSI near 70. Volume on the large cap stock has declined over the past 5 trading sessions, moving below the 50-day moving average of volume.
- TradersHuddle Dow's Update, In focus:PFE, HD, JPM, MSFT, CSCO
- TradersHuddle Mid-day Update: Dow Jones Higher Top Performers: HPQ, JPM, UNH
- TradersHuddle Mid-day Update: Dow Jones Higher Top Performers: CAT, UNH, TRV
- Worst Performing Dow Component: Wal-Mart
- Top Performing Dow Component: Microsoft
- NASDAQ 100's Top Performers: NFLX, BIIB, MSFT
- Worst Performing Dow Component: General Electric
- Worst Performing Dow Component: IBM
- NASDAQ 100's Top Performers: ROST, NFLX, RIMM
- Top Performing Dow Component: United Health
Related Partner Headlines
- Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
- Bull Vs. Bear - Microsoft On The Rise (MSFT, GOOG, EBAY, BRK-B) - Investopedia
- Bull Vs. Bear - Microsoft Stinks (MSFT, NOK, AAPL, GOOG) - Investopedia
- Steven Sinofsky Denies Windows 8 and WP8 Merger Rumor - Benzinga
- Dow Today: Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) Lower - TheStreet.com
- Why's Microsoft's Windows Boss Leaving? A Bad Job Review? - TheStreet.com
- A Strange Shakeup at Microsoft - TheStreet.com
- Mid-Morning Market Update: Markets Mixed; Microsoft Falls; Home Depot Sees a Boost - Benzinga
- Sinofsky Leaving Microsoft Not Negative Sign for Windows 8 - Raymond James - Benzinga
- Sinofsky Departure May Suggest Win 8 Not Meeting Internal Expectations - MKM - Benzinga
Recent Trading Ideas
Chesapeake Energy Is Close to Resistance
Windstream Is Near its 50 Day Moving Average
Applied Materials Is Close to Resistance
E*TRADE is Near a Key Support Area
First Solar is Near a Key Support Area
Trading Idea: Is Monster Worldwide close to Support?
Trading Idea: - Is Walgreen close to Resistance?
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,303.10 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▲8.60 (0.06%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,649.60 Trade time:4:35PM EDT Value change:▼0.91 (-0.06%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,459.14 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▼0.28 (-0.01%)
In The Wires
Kenny Chesney Ticket Prices Slashed by TicketProcess.com; Tickets Still Available For The No Shoes Nation Tour
"Get Ready for Summer Sale" at Sublime Beauty® Continues: New Cellulite Whisperer® Products
Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne Engines Boost Latest Communication Satellite into Orbit
Real Estate SEO Firm Announces Real Estate SEO Pros For Hire Programs
Company Now Offering Real Estate SEO Tips for Real Estate Professionals in All Markets
CRMnext Introduces Twitter Response for Customer Service Management through Social Networking Channels
Tips for Great Content Marketing for Local Search Success
Used VTEC Engine Now Included in Honda Parts Inventory at AutoProsUSA.com