Cree Technology Breakthrough Enables 50 Amp Silicon Carbide Power Devices, Bringing Efficiency and Cost Savings to a Broader Range of High-Power Applications
Published on Wednesday, 02 May 2012 09:28 Written by TradersHuddle StaffDURHAM, N.C.-( Business Wire )-
In a breakthrough that redefines performance and energy efficiency in high-power applications, Cree, Inc. (Nasdaq: CREE) announces a new family of 50A Silicon Carbide (SiC) devices, including the industry’s first 1700V Z-FET™ SiC MOSFET. These new 50A SiC devices, which also include a 1200V Z-FET SiC MOSFET and three Z-Rec® SiC Schottky diodes, will enable a new generation of power systems with record-setting energy efficiency and lower cost of ownership than with conventional technologies.
The new devices, available in die form, are designed for high-power modules for applications such as solar power inverters, uninterruptible power supply (UPS) equipment and motor drives. Using the Cree® SiC 50A devices, power electronics engineers can set new standards for system cost of ownership through reduced size, lower-cost bill of materials (BOM), and improved efficiency.
“Only Cree has the relentless innovation and expertise across SiC materials technology, wafer processing and device design to make this kind of technology possible,” said Cengiz Balkas, vice president and general manager, Cree power and RF. “These larger die extend the benefits realized with our 20 Amp SiC MOSFETs to power applications up to 500 kW, making it possible to replace less capable conventional silicon IGBTs in high-power, high-voltage applications.”
These higher-rated SiC devices continue a long history of Cree SiC technology innovation firsts, including the industry’s first 1200V SiC MOSFET and the first production 1200V and 1700V SiC Schottky diodes.
The comprehensive 50A SiC device series includes a 40 mOhm 1700V MOSFET, a 25 mOhm 1200V MOSFET and 50A/1700V, 50A/1200V, and 50A 650V Schottky diodes. Samples of all these high-power devices are available immediately, with production volumes targeted for fall 2012. Preliminary datasheets are available upon request for samples in die form. For samples and more information about Cree’s SiC power devices, please visit www.cree.com/power
Cree is a market-leading innovator of semiconductor products for power and radio-frequency (RF) applications, lighting-class LEDs and LED lighting solutions.
Cree's product families include LED fixtures and bulbs, blue and green LED chips, high-brightness LEDs, lighting-class power LEDs, power-switching devices and RF devices. Cree products are driving improvements in applications such as general illumination, electronic signs and signals, power supplies and solar inverters.
For additional product and company information, please refer to www.cree.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements involving risks and uncertainties, both known and unknown, that may cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated. Actual results may differ materially due to a number of factors, including the risk we may be unable to manufacture our new products with sufficiently low cost to offer them at competitive prices or with acceptable margins; the risk we may encounter delays or other difficulties in ramping up production of the new products; customer acceptance of the new products; the rapid development of new technology and competing products that may impair demand or render Cree’s products obsolete; and other factors discussed in Cree’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its report on Form 10-K for the year ended June 26, 2011, and subsequent filings.
Cree® and Z-Rec® are registered trademarks and Z-FETTM is a trademark of Cree, Inc.
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals to Hold Investor Conference Call to Discuss Partnership with Roche
- Roche and Inovio Pharmaceuticals partner on Inovio's prostate cancer and hepatitis B immunotherapy products
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals' Malaria DNA Vaccine Demonstrates Robust Immune Responses in Animal Models
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals Reports 2013 Second Quarter Financial Results
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals Responds to Market Activity
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals' Potent hTERT DNA Cancer Vaccine Shows Potential to Reduce Tumors and Prevent Tumor Recurrence
- Synthetically Optimized HIF-1 Alpha DNA Delivered with Inovio's Electroporation Technology Provides Significant Therapeutic Effects for Peripheral Arterial Disease in Animal Model
- Inovio's CELLECTRA® Electroporation Delivery Technology Powers Durable, Best-in-Class T-Cell Responses from HIV Vaccine in Human Study
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals' Universal H7N9 DNA Vaccine Protects 100% of Vaccinated Animals in Challenge Study
Related Partner Headlines
Recent Trading Ideas
Latest Partner Headlines