Gold Miners: Capitulation? Guess Again
Published on Tuesday, 08 May 2012 19:37 Written by Todd Shriber
One of the most vexing conundrums investors have had to contend with over the past 12-18 months has been the performance of gold miners relative to the yellow metal itself. Yes, gold has acted more as a risk asset than safe haven in 2012, but until recently, it has been fair to say that gold has been in an unprecedented bull market for the better part of a decade, or longer.
Even with the recent weakness, the iShares Gold Trust (NYSE: IAU) is still up about 6% in the past year. That adds to the confusion regarding the performance of gold mining stocks and ETFs. Take the example of the Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (NYSE: GDX).
With $8.23 billion in assets under management, GDX tracks large-cap gold miners such as Barrick Gold (NYSE: ABX) and Goldcorp (NYSE: GG). Home to 33 stocks, GDX came to market almost six years ago. Nothing has been golden about this ETF over the past year. In that time, GDX is down more than 26%. Over the past six months, the loss widens to 31%. In recent weeks, things have gotten worse as GDX has tumbled 9.3%.
Earlier this year as GDX and rival mining ETFs were faltering, some analysts and traders speculated that capitulation was near, meaning that the bears had finally had enough and the selling pressure would soon abate. For GDX, that was more than 10% ago.
GDX has touched new 52-week lows in the past two trading sessions and now the ETF is found just 5% above its $40 debut price. Put another way if you had held GDX, a high beta fund if ever there was one, for six years, you’d be up 5%. In the past five years, IAU has surged almost 130%.
Making the case of the miners even more curious is that neither the companies nor the analysts that track them seem to be able to offer up any legitimate reason for why these stocks have lagged gold so dramatically over the past few years. Sure, the price of mining gold has increased, but that should be covered by higher prices for the commodity itself.
Perhaps the best thing that can be said of gold miners at this point is that there have been other periods in history where the group has lagged gold futures. Then the situation reverse and the miners outperform bullion. Encouraging for the bulls to be sure, but without a crystal ball, no one knows exactly when miners will get acts together. And that might just mean the best mining security to own at this point is the ultra-risky Direxion Daily Gold Miners 3X Bear Shares (NYSE: DUST).
- Trading Idea: Is Goldcorp Breaking Down?
- Goldcorp Announces Election of Directors
- Barrick Gold Is Close to Resistance
- Barrick Gold Broke Resistance
- Trading Idea: What to Expect as Goldcorp Breaks Resistance
- Agreement-in-principle announced on amendments to Pueblo Viejo Special Lease Agreement
- Barrick Gold Is Near a Key Resistance Area
- GOLDCORP announces appointment of Russell Ball as Executive Vice President, Capital Management
- The Range Is Tightening in Goldcorp
- Goldcorp Declares Fifth Monthly Dividend Payment for 2013
Related Partner Headlines
- Gold Prices Rise Above the Fiscal Cliff - TheStreet.com
- Barrick Gold Corporation Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (ABX) - TheStreet.com
- Goldcorp Inc. Stock Hold Recommendation Reiterated (GG) - TheStreet.com
- Gold Prices Sink on Fiscal Cliff Fears - TheStreet.com
- Barrick Gold Corporation (ABX): Today's Featured Metals & Mining Laggard - TheStreet.com
- Gold Prices Rise Ahead of Fed Minutes - TheStreet.com
- Gold Prices Dip as Eurozone Hesitates - TheStreet.com
- Gold Prices Rise as Dollar Retreats - TheStreet.com
- Goldcorp Stock To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow (GG) - TheStreet.com
- Goldcorp Inc. (GG): Today's Featured Basic Materials Laggard - TheStreet.com
Near Both 50 and 200 Day - Stocks Trading Below 50 and Below The 200
Stocks Close to Resistance
Near Both 50 and 200 Day - Stocks Trading Above 50 and Below The 200
Stocks Near 50 and 200 Day Moving Average Bullish Configuration 50 Above 200 Day
Near Both 50 and 200 Day - Stocks Trading Below 50 and Above the 200 Day
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,354.40 Trade time:4:40PM EDT Value change:▲121.18 (0.80%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,667.47 Trade time:4:39PM EDT Value change:▲17.00 (1.03%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,498.97 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▲33.73 (0.97%)
In The Wires
Eden Prairie Minnesota Office Warehouse Space Tenant Dispensing Components, Inc adds Ceme SpA to Product Line
Las Vegas Electrical Services Inc. Announces 24/7 Emergency Service for All Customers
New Mount Siguniang Tour by WindhorseTour Offers a Unique Experience to Western Sichuan
Detroit Pistons NBA Apparel at SportsFanPlayground.com
Three Steps to Success for Local Businesses with Local Marketing Online Based on May Studies
DJ Ty Goodwin Confirmed Act At Drawing On The Moon
Results Matter Radio Spotlights Sustainability in Georgia and the Southeast on Business RadioX
Illuminations Brings World Renowned Therapist to the Middle East