Quest Diagnostics Extends Endocrine Diagnostic Menu with New Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) Steroid Screening Panels
Published on Thursday, 17 May 2012 15:35 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
Features newborn screening panel that measures all 13 CAH-associated steroids by tandem mass spectrometry in a single analysis
MADISON, N.J., May 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Quest Diagnostics (NYSE: DGX), the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services, has extended its endocrine diagnostics menu with the introduction of four new tests panels for congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH), an endocrine disorder found in newborns, children and women. The panels are designed to overcome limitations in conventional testing to provide faster, high quality diagnosis of CAH in a single analysis.
"CAH is challenging to diagnose, and often escapes fast detection and treatment," said endocrinologist Richard E. Reitz, M.D., medical director, Quest Diagnostics, and chair, Endocrine Division, Quest Diagnostics Nichols Institute. "We designed our new CAH panels to aid in assessing the different patient populations affected by CAH using the most advanced analytical-test method available. We believe these panels will improve the quality and timeliness of diagnosis of CAH for many patients."
CAH is an endocrine disorder, typically inherited, that causes an overproduction of androgens, a family of so-called male hormones that include testosterone. The condition can accelerate the development of male features in newborns and children of both genders. In newborns, CAH can be fatal if untreated, and CAH screening of newborns shortly after birth is widely performed in the United States.
The new offerings feature a comprehensive panel for newborn screening for CAH. The panel enables analysis of all 13 steroids associated with CAH using the highly sensitive and specific liquid-chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS) measurement technique.
In addition, the test can be performed on a sample volume of 0.1 milliliter, making it well suited to newborn heel-prick sample collection.
By comparison, conventional clinical CAH test offerings generally require clinicians to measure CAH-associated steroids using different tests and require a much larger sample volume. In addition, some clinical tests are based on immunoassays, which may be less reliable at measuring levels of certain steroids in children and women than LC/MS/MS. The Endocrine Society recommends testing by LC/MS/MS to evaluate CAH and other hyper-androgenic disorders.
The company also has introduced three additional CAH panels by LC/MS/MS. One panel aids in diagnosing acute stress conditions in newborns that can be misdiagnosed for CAH. Another panel aids in diagnosing and managing children and adults with the most common forms of CAH, which are caused by 21-hydroxylase or 11-hydroxylase enzyme deficiency. A fourth panel aids in differentiating non-classic CAH from polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), a highly common androgen disorder in women that shares similar symptoms with CAH.
The new panels were developed at Quest Diagnostics Nichols Institute, the advanced research, development and testing center of Quest Diagnostics. Its endocrinology diagnostics services focus on diabetes, thyroid disease, adrenal dysfunction, reproduction, metabolism and pediatric endocrinology.
About Quest Diagnostics
Quest Diagnostics is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers, and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics is a pioneer in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care. Additional company information is available at QuestDiagnostics.com. Follow us at Facebook.com/QuestDiagnostics and Twitter.com/QuestDX.
Quest, Quest Diagnostics, any associated logos, and all associated Quest Diagnostics registered or unregistered trademarks are the property of Quest Diagnostics.
Quest Diagnostics Contacts:
Kathleen Valentine (Investors): 973-520-2900
Wendy Bost (Media): 973-520-2800
SOURCE Quest Diagnostics
- Quest Diagnostics Acquires Concentra's Laboratory Business, Enters into Exclusive Services Agreement
- Decades of Improving Cholesterol Levels Abruptly Ended in 2008, PLOS ONE Study Finds
- Quest Diagnostics to Speak at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2013 Health Care Conference
- Quest Diagnostics Reports First Quarter 2013 Financial Results
- Quest Diagnostics to Acquire Lab-Related Clinical Outreach Operations of Dignity Health in California and Nevada
- Quest Diagnostics Names Jim Davis, Senior Vice President, Diagnostic Solutions
- Quest Diagnostics Completes Sale of HemoCue Business to Radiometer Medical ApS
- Quest Diagnostics Launches Novel Rheumatoid Arthritis Tests
- Recreational Marijuana Users More Likely To Misuse Prescription Drugs, According to National Study by Quest Diagnostics
- Quest Diagnostics To Release First Quarter 2013 Financial Results On April 17
Related Partner Headlines
- UPDATE: Canaccord Genuity Reduces PT to $59 on Quest Diagnostics - Benzinga
- Quest Sees Deal Neutral to EPS in FY12; Adding to EPS in FY13 - Benzinga
- Quest Diagnostics Says Will Cut 400-600 Management Jobs; Create 2 New Business Structures - Benzinga
- Quest Reaches New 52-Week High (DGX) - TheStreet.com
- Quest Stock To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow (DGX) - TheStreet.com
- UPDATE: Credit Suisse Assumes Coverage on Quest Diagnostics with Neutral Rating, $67 PT - Benzinga
- Quest Diagnostics Inc (DGX): Today's Featured Health Services Winner - TheStreet.com
- Quest Stock Hits New 52-Week High (DGX) - TheStreet.com
- UPDATE: Goldman Sachs Upgrades Quest Diagnostics to Neutral on Defensiveness, New CEO - Benzinga
- Quest Stock To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow (DGX) - TheStreet.com
Near Both 50 and 200 Day - Stocks Trading Above 50 and Below The 200
Stocks Near 50 and 200 Day Moving Average Trading Above Both Moving Averages - With 50 day below the 200
Stocks Near Support
Candlesticks – Doji Close
Stocks Near 50 and 200 Day Moving Average Bullish Configuration 50 Above 200 Day
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,354.40 Trade time:4:40PM EDT Value change:▲121.18 (0.80%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,667.47 Trade time:4:39PM EDT Value change:▲17.00 (1.03%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,498.97 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▲33.73 (0.97%)
In The Wires
Israel HNWI & Wealth Management Market Analysis & 2017 Forecast in New Market Research Report at ReportsnReports.com
Ilaj.com Now Lists the Best Cardiology Doctors in India
14 Day Rapid Fat Loss Plan Review of Shaun Hadsall's Diet and Workout Secrets Revealed By Daily Gossip
Ignition Switch Replacement Cost Now Lowered for Buyers at Auto Pros USA
Windshield Wiper Motor Replacement Parts Receive Discount Online at AutoProsUSA.com
Used 6.7 Cummins Engine Receives Diesel Discount at GotDieselEngines.com
Flywheels for Manual Transmissions Now Sold Online at AutoProsUSA.com
Used Dodge Viper Engine Receives New Price at UsedEngines.co