InterDigital: New Network Topologies Needed to Address Spectrum Requirements
Published on Tuesday, 22 May 2012 10:12 Written by TradersHuddle StaffBARCELONA, Spain-( Business Wire )-
InterDigital, Inc. (NASDAQ: IDCC) will present its roadmap for the future of wireless on Thursday, May 24 at the LTE World Summit, one of the premier wireless conferences in the world. The presentation by Alan Carlton, Senior Director of Corporate Planning, offers projections for the explosion in mobile data and outlines future needs in terms of spectrum and technology. Among the projections, based on InterDigital calculations: in current network paradigms, spectrum requirements may exceed 5 GHz by the end of the decade.
Speaking in the “Handling the Mobile Data Explosion” topic track, which is sponsored by InterDigital and features speakers from mobile industry leaders like ZTE, Orange, Sony and others, Mr. Carlton will talk about non-traditional solutions for meeting the continuing demand for mobile services. The presentation proposes a new concept in terms of mobile needs: the Personal Ultra Broadband Era, which builds on connectivity generations like 3G and 4G and involves seamless connectivity across access, spectrum and device resources.
“After 4G, and given finite spectrum resources and exploding data needs, we see a network topology that is entirely flexible, where the current concept of the network as specific devices linked to specific resources via connectivity protocols is replaced by something utterly dynamic, transparent to the user and incredibly resource-efficient from the device and provider side. We believe this is the only way the mobile ecosystem will be able to address the growth in data needs we see going forward,” said Mr. Carlton.
Specific elements of the new network topologies to be proposed by Mr. Carlton at the LTE World Summit include:
- Spectrum resources – by 2020, a completed evolution to a network that enables spectrum sharing and aggregation, with white space seamlessly integrated. Initial InterDigital research suggests approximately 100% gains in key quality of experience metrics.
- Access resources – Intelligent, self-organizing access integrating flow segmentation and IP flow mobility.
- Device resources – High-powered devices with integrated device-to-device capability supplementing network access, unleashing the “power of the crowd.” InterDigital research suggests 50%+ gains with little negative impact.
InterDigital develops fundamental wireless technologies that are at the core of mobile devices, networks, and services worldwide. We solve many of the industry's most critical and complex technical challenges, inventing solutions for more efficient broadband networks and a richer multimedia experience years ahead of market deployment. InterDigital has licenses and strategic relationships with many of the world's leading wireless companies.
InterDigital is a registered trademark of InterDigital, Inc.
For more information, visit: www.interdigital.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Such statements include information regarding InterDigital’s current beliefs, plans and expectations, including with respect to projected wireless data needs and spectrum requirements and the development, implementation and impact of new network topologies.
Forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties. Actual outcomes could differ materially from those expressed in or anticipated by such forward-looking statements due to a variety of factors, including, without limitation, (i) the market relevance of our technologies; (ii) unanticipated technical or resource difficulties or delays related to further development of our technologies; and (iii) changes in projections. We undertake no duty to update publicly any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as may be required by applicable law, regulation or other competent legal authority.
- InterDigital Announces Date for 2013 Annual Meeting of Shareholders
- InterDigital Strengthens Executive Team, Adds Don Dinella as Chief Licensing Officer
- InterDigital's Board of Directors Declares Regular Quarterly Cash Dividend
- InterDigital and SII Mobile Communications Expand Patent License Coverage to Include 4G
Related Partner Headlines
- InterDigital Inc Stock Upgraded (IDCC) - TheStreet.com
- InterDigital Sees $10-12M on Voluntary Early Retirement Program - Benzinga
- 5 Wireless Communications Stocks With The Highest Operating Margin - Benzinga
- InterDigital Inc (IDCC): Today's Featured Telecommunications Winner - TheStreet.com
- Stocks with Insider Transactions and Boosted Share Repurchase Programs - Benzinga
- InterDigital Stock Soars (IDCC) - TheStreet.com
- InterDigital Confirms Q2 Revenue Guidance of $71M vs $66M Est - Benzinga
- InterDigital Doubles Stock Repurchase Program to $200 Million - Benzinga
- InterDigital Agrees to $375 Million Patent Transaction with Intel - Benzinga
- Top 4 Small-Cap Stocks In The Wireless Communications Industry With The Highest EPS - Benzinga
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,279.10 Trade time:9:53AM EDT Value change:▼39.13 (-0.26%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,647.52 Trade time:9:53AM EDT Value change:▼4.29 (-0.26%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,477.61 Trade time:9:53AM EDT Value change:▼4.57 (-0.13%)
In The Wires
Beckman Coulter Announces FDA Clearance of New Access AccuTnI+3 Troponin I Assay for the Access 2 Immunoassay System
Two "Newest" Value Line Funds to Reach 20-Year Anniversary Milestone in 2013
REIT Exchange Fund Revises Terms of Exchange Offers for Non-Traded REITs
Critical Alerts For Chevron, Coca Cola, JC Penney, Union Pacific, and US Bancorp Released By InvestorsObserver
Critical Alerts For Hormel Foods, Steelcase, Exact Sciences, GenCorp, and Infinity Pharmaceuticals Released By InvestorsObserver
Facebook Mobile App Install Ads Drive Strong Mobile Growth for AYI Dating App
S&P 500 Stock Buybacks Increase Slightly in First Quarter
Tata Consultancy Services CEO N Chandrasekaran Named One of STEMconnector's "100 CEO Leaders in STEM"