Ford Fund Sends World War II Veterans to Visit World War II Memorial in D.C. on D-Day; Announces $200,000 Grant to DAV
Published on Wednesday, 06 June 2012 00:09 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
DEARBORN, Mich., June 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford Motor Company Fund is sponsoring two flights for World War II veterans to visit the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. on the anniversary of D-Day
- About 75 veterans from Michigan and Kentucky are participating
- Ford also announces a $200,000 grant to the Disabled American Veterans, bringing its total support for veterans to more than $7.3 million since 1974
On the 68th anniversary of D-Day – the landing of 150,000 Allied troops on Nazi-fortified beaches in Normandy – Ford Motor Company Fund is sponsoring two Honor Flights for about 75 World War II veterans from Michigan and Kentucky to visit the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. The trips are organized as part of the Honor Flight Network.
Ford Fund also is announcing a $200,000 grant for the purchase of eight vehicles to the Disabled American Veterans Transportation Network, bringing to 164 the total number of Ford vehicles in the DAV fleet for transporting disabled veterans. This is in addition to $50,000 in grants for DAV's Winter Sports Clinic and the Jesse Brown Memorial Youth Scholarship Program. The No. 21 Ford Fusion driven by Trevor Bayne at a NASCAR Memorial Day weekend race sported the DAV logo in honor of Ford's longstanding partnership with DAV, which includes more than $6.5 million in donations since 1996.
The veterans, all in their late 80s and 90s, and their guardians are receiving a festive airport send-off from Ford employees and others. After arrival in Washington, D.C., the veterans are being greeted by members of Congress and Ford employees at the Memorial, and receiving letters of appreciation from Ford employees, family members and others.
"The sacrifice and bravery of these soldiers serve as a lesson for all of us," said Mike Bannister, Ford Motor Credit Company chairman and CEO, and champion of the Ford Veterans Network Group. "It is particularly fitting to acknowledge their service on the anniversary of D-Day, a crucial point in the war that took such a high toll on our troops."
Ford Motor Company has a long history of supporting veterans and military personnel, starting in 1922 when Henry Ford led a cross-country caravan of 50 Ford Model Ts to transport disabled veterans to their convention in San Francisco, his first of many such trips.
"Ford is one of our nation's great institutions, and for 90 years they've honored the brave heroes who have sacrificed for our nation," said DAV National Adjutant Arthur H. Wilson. "There is something uniquely American about the commitment and loyalty they've shown our cause and we're grateful for our partnership which has made a difference for generations of veterans and their families."
Since 1974, Ford Motor Company and Ford Fund have provided more than $7.3 million to organizations supporting veterans, including the DAV. Ford Fund's support of local initiatives for veterans in 2012 includes:
- Operation Goodwill Louisville grant of $10,000 for Interlink Counseling Services that provides a variety of services to veterans
- Creation of green space for a rooftop healing garden at the VA Medical Center in Detroit by Ford Volunteer Corps participants with supplies bought with a $5,000 Ford grant
- Purchase of gasoline by Ford Fund for one year for food delivery vehicles at Meals on Wheels of Greater San Diego where 40 percent of its meal recipients are veterans, and sorting and delivering food by Ford Volunteer Corps participants for Veteran's Haven in Detroit
- Operation Goodwill San Diego grants for Veterans Village of San Diego's combat warrior program, which provides discharged service members with rent, utilities and food during substance abuse and mental illness treatment; and for Reboot Workshops by National Veterans Transition Services for service members transitioning back to civilian life
The Ford Veterans Network Group, one of Ford's corporately supported Employee Resource Groups, sponsors activities throughout the year in support of its veterans, military personnel and their families. Ford has about 30 U.S. employees actively serving in the military and employs about 700 U.S. Reservists and Guardsmen, along with more than 7,000 U.S. veterans.
Ford Motor Company received the Secretary of Defense Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve's Freedom Award in 2011 for its assistance to Ford employees in the National Guard and Reserve. It is the highest honor bestowed by the Department of Defense for America's employers who provide exceptional support to their employees.
About Ford Motor Company Fund and Community Services
Ford Motor Company Fund and Community Services works with community partners to advance driving safety, education and American heritage and community life. The Ford Motor Company Fund has operated for more than 60 years with ongoing funding from Ford Motor Company. The award-winning Ford Driving Skills for Life program teaches new drivers through a variety of hands-on and interactive methods. Innovation in education is encouraged through national programs that enhance high school learning and provide college scholarships and university grants. Through the Ford Volunteer Corps, more than 25,000 Ford employees and retirees each year work on projects that better their communities in dozens of countries. For more information, visit http://community.ford.com.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 166,000 employees and about 70 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.
SOURCE Ford Motor Company
- Ford's Supplier Diversity Development Program: 35 Years of Empowering Minority, Women and Veteran Business Owners
- Ford Fusion Energi Earns Top Vehicle Safety Rating from NHTSA
- Lincoln Announces Reimagine Project to Aid Visionaries of the Arts, Design and Innovation
- Ford eNews -- May 15, 2013
- Above Resistance: Ford
- Ford Sollers Accelerates Growth Plan in Russia with New Engine Plant and Launch of Ford EcoSport SUV
- Critical Alerts For Ford, Hologic, United Therapeutics, Apollo Group, and Zillow Released By InvestorsObserver
- MyEnergi Lifestyle Contest Offers Home Energy Makeover, Ford C-MAX Energi - Featured on 'Katie' Show
- Is Ford Closing in to Resistance?
- Voting Results from Ford Motor Company's 2013 Annual Meeting of Shareholders
Related Partner Headlines
- First Drive: Ford C-Max Energi - TheStreet.com
- Ford's Fields on Europe: 'You See Headache, We See Opportunity' - TheStreet.com
- Ford Motor Co (F): Today's Featured Automotive Laggard - TheStreet.com
- BMW Cuts Off Toyota, GM and Ford in California - TheStreet.com
- Ford Motor Co Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (F) - TheStreet.com
- Ford Launches C-MAX Energi Plug-in Hybrid - Benzinga
- Ford Motor Co (F): Today's Featured Automotive Laggard - TheStreet.com
- Don't Let Obama vs. Romney Hurt Investing Goals, Passion - TheStreet.com
- What If Romney Had Backed Auto Bailouts? - TheStreet.com
- Ford China Sales Rise 48% In October - Benzinga
Recent Trading Ideas
Is Priceline.com Coming Down?
Google Is Near a Key Resistance Area
Above Resistance: United Technologies
Trading Idea: What to Expect as Devon Energy Breaks Resistance
Micron Technology Is Near a Key Resistance Area
IMAX Is Moving Above Resistance
Trading Idea: - Is Bank of America close to Resistance?
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,387.58 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▲52.30 (0.34%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,669.16 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▲2.87 (0.17%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,502.12 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▲5.69 (0.16%)
In The Wires
U-Haul Continues to Offer 30 Days of Free Self-Storage and Also Is Offering 30 Days of Free U-Box Portable Moving and Storage to Oklahoma Tornado Victims
Jon Huntsman Funds Charitable Donations With Share Proceeds
Silver Wheaton Announces Election Of Directors
ITG Adds Singapore to Asia Pacific POSIT® coverage
Trez Capital Senior Mortgage Investment Corporation announces May 2013 distribution
Trez Capital Mortgage Investment Corporation Announces May 2013 Distribution
Pandora Chief Revenue Officer to Appear at OMMA Mobile Conference
SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Law Office of Brodsky & Smith, LLC Announces Investigation of SoundBite Communications, Inc. SDBT