Oil Notches Best Day In 2 Months
Published on Thursday, 14 June 2012 17:18 Written by Todd Shriber
On rising hopes for additional monetary easing by the Federal Reserve and other global central banks, oil futures surged on Thursday, enjoying their best performance in two months. NYMEX-traded crude for July delivery popped $1.03 to $83.65 per barrel. In London, Brent crude for July delivery fell two cents to $97.11 per barrel. July Brent settled Wednesday at the lowest level since January 2011, the Wall Street Journal reported.
On a day that was surprisingly risk on in tenor, the PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bullish (NYSE: UUP) notched a slightly lower finish despite more mixed U.S. economic data. In economic news, initial claims for jobless benefits increased by 6,000 to 386,000 last week. Analysts expected a reading of 375,000 new claims. The less volatile four-week moving average rose by 3,500 to 382,000 claims. The Labor Department said the consumer price index fell by 0.3% last month after being unchanged in April. Economists expected a decline of 0.2%.
The OPEC meeting in Vienna didn’t conjure up any major surprises as the cartel decided to keep its production quota at 30 million barrels per day. Problem is the quota is essentially meaningless because OPEC is currently pumping nearly 32 million barrels per day. Saudi Arabia, the largest OPEC producer is pumping about 10 million barrels per day.
Traders believe NYMEX crude is finding a floor because the $80 level has yet to be breached on the downside. Still, it was optimism for more quantitative easing that helped drive oil’s ascent higher today. The Federal Reserve meets next, but Chairman Ben Bernanke has refused to give any signal that more easing is imminent, which is to say today’s speculation that more easing will arrive may prove to be misplaced.
All that didn’t matter today as traders embraced energy commodities and equities. The United States Natural Gas (NYSE: UNG) surged 15% on volume that was nearly triple the daily average. The equity-based First Trust ISE-Revere Natural Gas Index Fund (NYSE: FCG) climbed almost 3%.
Cabot Oil & Gas (NYSE: COG) climbed almost 9% on volume that was nearly double the daily average. The gain was tied to QE3 speculation and the natural gas surge. Devon Energy (NYSE: DVN) notched a small gain, while Chesapeake Energy (NYSE: CHK) took advantage of the natural gas ebullience to gain 2.4%. Chesapeake is the second-largest U.S. natural gas producer behind Exxon Mobil.
- Entry points for Exxon
- InterOil And Pacific LNG Group Enter Into Exclusive Negotiations With ExxonMobil On Development Of The Elk And Antelope Resource
- Trading Idea: Is Exxon Breaking Out?
- Worst Performing Dow Component: Cisco
- Buying the Dip on Exxon?
- Critical Alerts For Chevron, MGM Mirage, Charter Communications, Quanta Services, and Acadia Released By InvestorsObserver
- Exxon Is Near to the 50 and 200 Day Moving Averages
- TradersHuddle Mid-day Update: Dow Jones Lower Top Performers: AXP, PG, WMT
- Is Exxon Breaking Out?
- Reference Points for Exxon
Related Partner Headlines
- Oil-Stock Rally Is an Opportunity to Sell - TheStreet.com
- Natural Gas Spikes Higher - Benzinga
- Exxon Mobil Stock To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow (XOM) - TheStreet.com
- Energy Sector Recap: Exxon Mobile Reports Decline In Production (XOM, EOG, UPL, KOG, CHK) - Investopedia
- Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM): Today's Featured Energy Laggard - TheStreet.com
- How Much Oil And Gas Will Iraq Produce? (XOM, E, BP, RDS.A) - Investopedia
- Coal, Natural Gas and the Extremes - TheStreet.com
- Exxon Mobil Corporation Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (XOM) - TheStreet.com
- Exxon Mobil's Third Quarter Earnings Report - Investopedia
- ExxonMobil Third Quarter Earnings Preview - Investopedia
Recent Trading Ideas
Chesapeake Energy Is Close to Resistance
Windstream Is Near its 50 Day Moving Average
Applied Materials Is Close to Resistance
E*TRADE is Near a Key Support Area
First Solar is Near a Key Support Area
Trading Idea: Is Monster Worldwide close to Support?
Trading Idea: - Is Walgreen close to Resistance?
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,303.10 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▲8.60 (0.06%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,649.60 Trade time:4:35PM EDT Value change:▼0.91 (-0.06%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,459.14 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▼0.28 (-0.01%)
In The Wires
U.S. Gold Coin Sales Increase Despite Floundering Gold Coin Prices, Reports Gold Coin
Singapore Escort Services Launches New Classifieds Service for Both Female & Male Escorts
PokerChipsWest Offers the Largest Sale of the Year for Father's Day
Slow Healing: Cell Therapy in the US Industry Market Research Report Now Available from IBISWorld
Software Company Anahata Launches On-Site Custom Software Assessment Campaign
Austria Cards and Payments Industry Expected to Grow at US$58.9 Billion By 2017 in New Research Report at RnRMarketResearch.com
Destin, FL Hotel Coupon and Promo Codes
Volkswagen Polo GT Serves Indian Market as A Brand New Treat, Reports Gaadi.com