Ciena Supplies Global Intelligent Optical Mesh Network to Samsung SDS
Published on Monday, 18 June 2012 09:07 Written by TradersHuddle StaffLINTHICUM, Md.-( Business Wire )-
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that Samsung SDS Co., Ltd., a global information and communications technology service provider, has deployed Ciena’s full portfolio of intelligent Packet-Optical Switching, Packet-Optical Transport, Carrier Ethernet (CES) and ON-Center® Management Suite solutions to create its own private network, which will connect offices and employees across multiple locations globally. The new intelligent optical mesh backbone will provide Samsung SDS with a highly-reliable, high-performance network to ensure maximum availability of its IT infrastructure and applications, with unified network and service management.
- Faced with an aging ATM and MPLS-based network that was challenged to deliver optimal network availability in the wake of natural and manmade disasters, as well as general performance issues, Samsung SDS was driven to upgrade its network with intelligent optical mesh technology that automatically routes traffic around network issues to maximize availability with the lowest level of latency.
- Ciena’s proven OneConnect Intelligent Control Plane, the heart of its CoreDirector® Multiservice Optical Switch, provides distributed intelligence that ensures network capacity in the event of disruptive network failures such as one or multiple and simultaneous fiber cuts. Based on a mesh design, protection is shared across multiple “working” routes using state-of-the-art restoration technology that can dynamically reroute services around failures using available bandwidth anywhere in the network. This intelligent network is also aware and proactive of all parameters that can impact the performance of applications, including being able to route to ensure low latency, and route around shared risk link group and many others.
- Samsung SDS also deployed Ciena’s 6130 Multiservice Optical Platform to provide transport services to small and medium sites, and Ciena’s 3920 Service Delivery Switch—part of its Carrier Ethernet Solutions portfolio—for DCN optimization across the whole network.
- Samsung SDS is also utilizing the Ciena ON-Center INM/SLM software suite for network management, and Ciena Specialist Services to help minimize implementation costs and ensure that the network was turned up efficiently and effectively.
“Unplanned network downtime can not only disrupt customer-facing
services, but it can also impact revenue and cause long-term damage to
our brand. With Ciena’s proven solutions and mesh technology, we are
able to take control of our network to ensure that our applications
are constantly available and that employees can work normally, even if
there is an issue in one part of the network.”
- Ryu HaeKwang, Vice President, Infra Tech. Team at Samsung SDS
“In the highly competitive electronics industry, IT is a critical
asset and there is no room for downtime. Ciena’s solutions are
enabling a high-performance, highly reliable IT infrastructure for one
of the world’s largest multinational corporations—essentially turning
them into their own service provider. Samsung’s network is a blueprint
for the kind of high-capacity network featuring carrier-class
reliability that can handle the intense volume of data that large
multi-national corporations generate, and to help them ensure that
their network can survive any disruption to maintain business as
- Anthony McLachlan, Vice President and General Manager, Asia Pacific, Ciena
- Optical mesh networks rely on optical control plane technology to automate the provisioning and restoration of complex optical networks. Properly designed mesh networks can achieve availability of 99.9999 percent, which translates into only 31 seconds of annual downtime, yielding a tenfold improvement when compared to traditional ring-based networks. Mesh-based networks, by virtue of interconnected topology, can also reduce required network capacity by more than 30 percent when compared to ring-based networks.
- Ciena's CES portfolio combines intelligent devices and software to create low-touch, high-velocity Carrier Ethernet access and metro networks for a common, consistent way of delivering the full range of Ethernet services that significantly accelerates and automates service creation and activation. Ciena’s CES portfolio is used by more than 150 carriers, wireless service providers and cable operators worldwide, with an installed base of nearly 250,000 Ethernet-enabled sites.
- Product overview: CoreDirector Multiservice Optical Switch
- Product overview: 6130 Multiservice Optical Platform
- Product overview: 3920 Service Delivery Switch
- Whitepaper: Ciena’s Intelligent Self-Healing Mesh Networks
- Video: Optical Control Plane
About Samsung SDS Co., Ltd.
Samsung SDS is an enterprise with vast information and communication technology (ICT) business experience accumulated from working with major enterprises and public organizations, domestically and internationally. Samsung SDS offers a diverse array of services based on accurate understanding of customers’ needs, and forward looking thought leadership, while paying close attention to providing value to our customers. Samsung SDS can help customers increase their competitiveness by offering the most optimal ICT services that are customized for their business environments, leveraging the most knowledgeable professionals and proven, innovative technologies.
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by services and software that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 6, 2012. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Related Partner Headlines
- Cisco on Deck: Don't Expect Any Miracles - TheStreet.com
- Cellar-Dwellers Take a Leap - TheStreet.com
- Ciena Corporation (CIEN): Today's Featured Technology Winner - TheStreet.com
- Ciena Corporation (CIEN): Today's Featured Telecommunications Laggard - TheStreet.com
- Why Ciena Is No Longer Worth the Risk - TheStreet.com
- Ciena Corporation Stock Downgraded (CIEN) - TheStreet.com
- Ciena Still Trying To Translate Tech Into Prosperity (CIEN, ALU, T, JDSU) - Investopedia
- Social Market Analytics Looks at Earnings for CIENA Corp. - Benzinga
- UPDATE: J.P. Morgan Reiterates Overweight Rating, Lowers PT on Ciena Corporation - Benzinga
- UPDATE: Goldman Sachs Reiterates Neutral Rating, Lowers PT on Ciena Corporation - Benzinga
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,354.40 Trade time:4:40PM EDT Value change:▲121.18 (0.80%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,667.47 Trade time:4:39PM EDT Value change:▲17.00 (1.03%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,498.97 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▲33.73 (0.97%)
In The Wires
Professionally Designed Wedding Dresses Now Online At Tidebuy.com
DressFirst.com Is Providing Big Discounts On All Its Prom Dresses
Great Discounts On Evening Dresses Announced by AmorModa.com
Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP Encourages Investors Who Suffered Losses In Excess Of $100,000 Investing In Vitamin Shoppe, Inc. To Contact The Firm
Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP Encourages Investors Who Suffered Losses In Excess Of $100,000 Investing In Ventrus Biosciences, Inc. To Contact The Firm
Bruno Mars Ticket Prices Slashed at TicketProcess.com - Discounted Tickets Are Still Available With The Trusted Ticket Exchange Giant
Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP Encourages Investors Who Suffered Losses In Excess Of $100,000 Investing In Delcath Systems, Inc. To Contact The Firm
The Rolling Stones Tour Tickets 2013 On Sale At TicketsTeam.com