More Stimulus Hopes Lift Oil
Published on Tuesday, 19 June 2012 17:48 Written by Todd Shriber
Ahead of yet another Federal Open Market Committee meeting on Wednesday, traders again speculated that Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues at the central would do something to jump-start the sagging U.S. economy. That hope and speculation was enough to lift oil prices on Tuesday as NYMEX-traded crude for July delivery added 76 cents to settle at $84.03 a barrel. In London, Brent crude fell 29 cents to close at $95.76 per carrel.
Aside from the FOMC buzz that permeated the oil pits today, black gold got a lift from some decent U.S. economic data. In economic news, the Commerce Department said housing starts fell 4.8% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 708,000. The April number was revised higher to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 744,000. New construction rose 28.5% last month from May 2011.
Spain, the Euro Zone’s fourth-largest economy was able to auction $3.8 billion in 12-month bills, topping the original target of $3 billion, suppressing alarmingly high yields on Spanish 10-years in the process.
Despite gains across the energy complex, natural gas futures gave back some of Monday’s large gains with the U.S. Natural Gas Fund (NYSE: UNG) falling 3.4% on volume that was slightly above the daily average. Even with today’s decline, the highly volatile UNG has surged more than 14% in the past five trading days.
After trading higher by more than 100 points for most of the session, the Dow Jones Industrial Average finished with a gain of "just" 95 points, but that was enough to lift Exxon Mobil (NYSE: XOM) to a gain of 1.7%, which came on above average turnover. Chevron (NYSE: CVX), the second-largest U.S. oil company, added 0.6%.
Mexico’s Pemex, the country’s state-run oil company, awarded four contracts for exploration of mature fields today. Chevron was among the bidders for the Mexican contracts, but a Reuters report on the news noted Chevron did not win a contract. The same report said Schlumberger (NYSE: SLB), the world’s largest provider oilfield services, won a services deal.
Mexico is the world’s seventh-largest oil producer, but production there has been declining for several years and the country is desperate to boost its oil production, making partnerships between Pemex and foreign companies essential.
The independent oil names notched strong performances today as well. Apache (NYSE: APA) was the laggard with a gain of just 0.12%, but Anadarko Petroleum (NYSE: APC) and Devon Energy (NYSE: DVN) each flirted with gains of 2%.
- Critical Alerts For Chevron, MGM Mirage, Charter Communications, Quanta Services, and Acadia Released By InvestorsObserver
- Exxon Is Near to the 50 and 200 Day Moving Averages
- TradersHuddle Mid-day Update: Dow Jones Lower Top Performers: AXP, PG, WMT
- Is Exxon Breaking Out?
- Apache Reports First-Quarter Results, $4 Billion Asset Sales Goal, Program To Repurchase Up To 30 Million Shares
- Reference Points for Exxon
- Apache Announces Higher Initial Production, Lower Costs In Latest Tonkawa And Granite Wash Drilling
- Apache announces three new oil and gas discoveries in egypt's western desert, extends production base across vast concession areas
- Critical Alerts For Gilead, Schlumberger, Charles Schwab, Trulia, and Staples Released By InvestorsObserver
- Exxon Is Moving Above Resistance
Related Partner Headlines
- Oil-Stock Rally Is an Opportunity to Sell - TheStreet.com
- Schlumberger NV Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (SLB) - TheStreet.com
- Chevron Corp Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (CVX) - TheStreet.com
- Schlumberger NV (SLB): Today's Featured Energy Laggard - TheStreet.com
- Dow Today: Chevron (CVX) Lower - TheStreet.com
- Natural Gas Spikes Higher - Benzinga
- Oppenheimer Holdings Reiterates Outperform Rating, $130 PT on Chevron Corporation - Benzinga
- Dow Component Chevron (CVX) To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow - TheStreet.com
- Chevron Stock To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow (CVX) - TheStreet.com
- Chevron Corp (CVX): Today's Featured Energy Laggard - TheStreet.com
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,354.40 Trade time:4:40PM EDT Value change:▲121.18 (0.80%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,667.47 Trade time:4:39PM EDT Value change:▲17.00 (1.03%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,498.97 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:0.00 (0.00%)
In The Wires
CME Group Expands OTC Agricultural Offering with New USD-Denominated Palm Oil Swap
Macerich's Santa Monica Place Wins "Best-of-the-Best" Global Shopping Center Award
Qihoo 360 Reports First Quarter 2013 Unaudited Financial Results
BCC Research Expects the Global Market for Engineering Resins and Polymer Alloys and Blends to Reach 28 Billion Pounds by 2018.
Transfer Cases for SUVs Marked Down for Buyers at TransferCasesforSale.com
With Summer Just Around the Corner, Car Rental Express (CRX) Suggests Some Family-Friendly Water Parks to Visit with Children
Cheap Cash Flow Beach Front Condo For Sale in Indian Rocks, States ARME Realty.com
Rentrak Announces Worldwide Box Office Results for Weekend of May 19, 2013