Aetna and Silverlink Receive TripleTree iAward for Innovative Program to Help Members Better Manage Diabetes
Published on Wednesday, 20 June 2012 15:22 Written by TradersHuddle StaffHARTFORD, Conn. & BURLINGTON, Mass.-( Business Wire )-
Aetna (NYSE: ΑET) and Silverlink Communications, Inc. today announced that their text messaging program for members diagnosed with diabetes received a top award at the 2012 TripleTree iAwards for Wireless Health. The program was one of three winners among 160 nominated programs and won in the category of Consumer Innovation.
The Aetna and Silverlink program helps members diagnosed with diabetes take charge of their health and better manage this increasingly pervasive chronic condition. Participants receive weekly text messages that deliver important education and support including diet and exercise tips; the importance of getting needed tests and screenings; and reminding participants to take their medications as prescribed. In addition, members also have the ability to respond to selected texts indicating if they scheduled an appointment for necessary tests and screenings, if their prescriptions were refilled and if they wanted to speak to a health coach.
“We are excited to receive this recognition for a program that can help address one of the most significant health issues our country faces - diabetes,” said Susan Kosman, R.N., Aetna chief nursing officer. “With more than 105 million Americans suffering from diabetes or pre-diabetes, programs that can help diabetics better manage their condition can not only improve their health on a personal level, but help reduce health care costs associated with diabetes.”
Early results from the three-month program show strong improvements in member engagement:
- More than 95 percent of the approximately 2,700 participants stayed enrolled throughout the entire program.
- 83 percent agreed that the text messages helped them think about or make lifestyle changes such as eating better or getting more exercise.
- 76 percent agreed that the text messages encouraged them to see their doctor for necessary diabetes tests or screenings.
Participants in the program also showed significant improvement in medication adherence and members getting appropriate lab screenings. Members receiving texts were also more likely to engage with Aetna nurse case managers in a disease management program.
“Text messaging is playing an increasingly important role to engage individuals in their health,” says Dr. Jan Berger, chief medical officer of Silverlink. “By reaching individuals where they are and using simple and clear communications, we have demonstrated that we can positively impact how individuals with diabetes manage their health. We are proud to share this award with Aetna, be recognized for our joint innovation, and help Aetna’s members with diabetes achieve their optimal health.”
The TripleTree iAwards recognize and reward exceptional companies that are demonstrating insight, innovation, and initiative in the healthcare industry. The award is focused on transformative solutions that are shaping the future of healthcare.
Aetna is one of the nation's leading diversified health care benefits companies, serving approximately 36.1 million people with information and resources to help them make better informed decisions about their health care. Aetna offers a broad range of traditional, voluntary and consumer-directed health insurance products and related services, including medical, pharmacy, dental, behavioral health, group life and disability plans, and medical management capabilities, Medicaid health care management services and health information technology services. Our customers include employer groups, individuals, college students, part-time and hourly workers, health plans, health care providers, governmental units, government-sponsored plans, labor groups and expatriates. For more information, see www.aetna.com.
Silverlink is a registered trademark of Silverlink Communications, Inc. All other brand and product names contained in this release may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50317923&lang=en
- AT&T And America Movil To Provide Deeper National Reach For Advanced Enterprise Services Across Latin America
- AT&T 4G LTE Available In Willimantic
- AT&T 4G LTE Available In Torrington
- AT&T And The University Of Kansas Team Up To Enhance Wireless Coverage On Lawrence Campus
- AT&T 4G LTE Available In Fargo
- AT&T 4G LTE Available In Amarillo
- Benefitfocus Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering
- Trends of China Gear Industry 2013 Analysis & Reviewed in New Research Report at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Product Launch Formula 4.0 Bonuses Total $5000 at BrianHanson.com
- Datex Presents Motorola Solutions Webinar “Is It ‘Smart’ to Use Smartphones for the Enterprise?”
Related Partner Headlines
Recent Trading Ideas
Latest Partner Headlines