Actress Maura Tierney And Amgen Launch The Chemotherapy: Myths or Facts™ Campaign
Published on Monday, 25 June 2012 06:33 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
Tierney Shares Her Personal Cancer Experience to Help Patients Debunk Common Misconceptions Associated with Chemotherapy
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., June 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) today launched Chemotherapy: Myths or Facts™, an awareness campaign for cancer patients and their caregivers featuring Emmy®-nominated actress and breast cancer survivor Maura Tierney. In 2009, Tierney was diagnosed with and treated for an aggressive form of breast cancer. Almost three years after successfully completing treatment, she is reflecting back on her cancer journey and its impact on her life with the hope of helping others.
"When I was going through my cancer treatment, I learned that you can never ask a stupid question. I asked every single question that came to my mind, and I believe that helped to calm my own anxiety," said Tierney. "The Chemotherapy: Myths or Facts campaign encourages patients and caregivers to ask a lot of questions, arming themselves with as much information as possible to take charge of their journey."
With approximately 650,000 patients undergoing chemotherapy in the United States each year, many people feel as though they already know how the disease and treatment will impact them or their loved one.[i] However, chemotherapy can affect each patient's body differently, so it is important for patients to speak openly with their doctor to fully understand their treatment and what to expect. The Chemotherapy: Myths or Facts campaign aims to address some of the misconceptions cancer patients and their caregivers may have.
"One common myth is that all patients receiving chemotherapy should avoid spending time with friends and family during their treatment," said Patrick Cobb, M.D., oncologist, Frontier Cancer Center, Billings, Mont. "This is largely untrue.[ii] While most people receiving chemotherapy should be careful about visiting others who are sick and avoid large crowds, having a support system in place to help keep a positive outlook is critical to a patient's emotional well-being during this time."[iii]
As part of the campaign, a video booth will travel across the country to collect personal stories of patients and caregivers to capture myths or facts they may have uncovered during their experience. More information on the booth, including what cities it will visit, and the campaign can be found at www.chemomythsorfacts.com.
About Chemotherapy: Myths or Facts
Chemotherapy: Myths or Facts aims to debunk common misconceptions associated with chemotherapy and encourages patients and caregivers to take charge of their cancer journey by speaking openly with their doctors. The campaign features Emmy-nominated actress Maura Tierney who is sharing her own experience as a cancer survivor to help others. Chemotherapy: Myths or Facts is sponsored by Amgen. To learn more about the campaign, visit www.chemomythsorfacts.com.
About Maura Tierney
Maura Tierney has spent her adult life acting, first on the stage in New York and then moved to Los Angeles in the late 1980s where she had parts in TV-movies as well as episodic shows such as "Growing Pains," "Family Ties" and "Law & Order." She also appeared in "Liar Liar" with Jim Carrey. In 2000 she landed her most famous role as Abby in the long running series "ER."
Amgen discovers, develops, manufactures and delivers innovative human therapeutics. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen was one of the first companies to realize the new science's promise by bringing safe, effective medicines from lab to manufacturing plant to patient. Amgen therapeutics have changed the practice of medicine, helping millions of people around the world in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis, bone disease and other serious illnesses. With a deep and broad pipeline of potential new medicines, Amgen remains committed to advancing science to dramatically improve people's lives. To learn more about our pioneering science and vital medicines, visit www.amgen.com. Follow us on www.twitter.com/amgen.
CONTACT: Amgen, Thousand Oaks
Christine Regan, 805-447-5476 (Media)
Arvind Sood, 805-447-1060 (Investors)
[i] Kantar Health Cancer Impact. Drug Treated Patients.
[ii] National Cancer Institute. Chemotherapy and You. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/chemotherapy-and-you. Accessed 9 May 2012: 12, 27.
[iii] National Cancer Institute. Chemotherapy and You. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/chemotherapy-and-you. Accessed 9 May 2012: 12, 27, 31.
- Critical Alerts For Amgen, Lockheed Martin, Genuine Parts, TakeTwo Interactive, and 51Job Released By InvestorsObserver
- Amgen to Present at the Deutsche Bank 38th Annual Healthcare Conference
- Amgen Announces Voting Results of Annual Meeting of Stockholders
- Amgen To Present At The UBS Global Life Sciences Conference
- New Analyses Identify Predictive Biomarkers For Vectibix® (Panitumumab) In Patients With Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
- Amgen Highlights Data To Be Presented At American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting
- Amgen And Zhejiang Beta Pharma Announce Planned Joint Venture In China
- Amgen Announces Top-Line Results of Vectibix® (panitumumab) Phase 3 Head-to-Head Study Against Erbitux® (cetuximab) in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
- Four Californians Selected as Breakaway from Cancer® Champions to be Honored During Amgen Tour of California
- Amgen's First Quarter 2013 Revenues Increased 5 Percent To $4.2 Billion And Adjusted Earnings Per Share (EPS) Increased 22 Percent To $1.96
Related Partner Headlines
- Cramer's Top Stock Picks: AMGN, HPY, but Avoid JCP - TheStreet.com
- Amgen Stock To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow (AMGN) - TheStreet.com
- Amgen Inc (AMGN): Today's Featured Drugs Winner - TheStreet.com
- Amgen Inc Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (AMGN) - TheStreet.com
- Phase 3 Sensipar®/Mimpara® EVOLVE™ Trial Did Not Meet Primary Endpoint - Benzinga
- Amgen Inc Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (AMGN) - TheStreet.com
- UPDATE: Oppenheimer Raises PT to $89 on Amgen - Benzinga
- UPDATE: Jefferies & Company Reiterates Buy Rating, Raises PT on Amgen - Benzinga
- Amgen's Third Quarter Earnings Report - Investopedia
- Analysts' Actions: CAT AMGN DNKN BTU COF - TheStreet.com
Recent Trading Ideas
Chesapeake Energy Is Close to Resistance
Windstream Is Near its 50 Day Moving Average
Applied Materials Is Close to Resistance
E*TRADE is Near a Key Support Area
First Solar is Near a Key Support Area
Trading Idea: Is Monster Worldwide close to Support?
Trading Idea: - Is Walgreen close to Resistance?
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,303.10 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▲8.60 (0.06%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,649.60 Trade time:4:35PM EDT Value change:▼0.91 (-0.06%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,459.14 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▼0.28 (-0.01%)
In The Wires
Law Offices of Ralph Ferro Jr. Announce Complimentary Consultation for Month of May
Web HSP Teams with Local Churches to Offer No-Cost Hosting & Heavily Discounted Website Development Services
China Health Food Industry Analysis and 2015 Forecasts in New Research Report at RnRMarketResearch.com
Sherri Gastelum and Platinum Tax Defenders Gets $100,000 Tax Bills Reduced to $1,000 Or Less
Time and Gems’ Ongoing Memorial Day Sale Is Set To Make Waves
Local Freight Trucking in Canada Industry Market Research Report Now Available from IBISWorld
Cheapest Shopping Won't Be Found on Google Says Das Cheap!
Luke Bryan Tickets: Prices Slashed on Luke Bryan Tickets in Raleigh, Bethel, Camden, Peoria, Nashville, Hartford, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, Indianapolis & SaratogaSprings