Most Economists Agree Home Prices Will Bottom by 2013, But Majority Surveyed Expect Homeownership Rate To Dip Further
Published on Monday, 25 June 2012 08:37 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
One in Five Economists Expect Homeownership Rate to Test All-Time Low in June 2012 Zillow Home Price Expectations Survey
SEATTLE, June 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Economists continued to predict home prices will decline only slightly in 2012, falling 0.4 percent for the entire year, and will increase thereafter, according to the June 2012 Zillow® Home Price Expectations Survey, compiled from 114 responses by a diverse group of economists, real estate experts and investment and market strategists.
For the first time, the individual economists surveyed were largely in agreement on the trajectory of home prices nationally, signaling that a true bottom may be imminent.
The survey, sponsored by leading real estate information marketplace Zillow, Inc. (NASDAQ: Z) and conducted by Pulsenomics LLC, is based on the projected path of the S&P/Case-Shiller® U.S. National Home Price Index during the coming five years.
However, a majority (56 percent) of respondents also believe that, in five years, the U.S. homeownership rate will be below 65.4 percent, the rate recorded in the first quarter of 2012. One in five believe the homeownership rate will be at or below 63 percent, testing or breaking the 62.9 percent rate established in 1965, the lowest on record.
"It's good to start to see some convergence of expectations among economists, as it lends further support to the claim that a bottom is real," said Zillow Chief Economist Stan Humphries. "However, the fact that more than half of respondents believe that the homeownership rate will fall lower should be a sobering reminder that significant challenges remain ahead for the housing market, from negative equity to millions of foreclosed homeowners who now have impaired credit, making a return to homeownership harder than it would be otherwise."
Looking further into the future, respondents' expectations remained relatively consistent with their March 2012 outlook.
The most optimistic[i] quartile of panelists predict a 1 percent increase in 2012, on average, while the most pessimistic[ii] predict an average decline of 2 percent. The June survey results also indicate that most of the panelists expect home prices to increase for the remainder of this year after falling 2 percent in the first quarter.
While the stronger signals of an imminent market bottom and turn are encouraging, the expected pace of housing recovery over the coming three years is significantly weaker now than it was two years ago.
"In June 2010, the average cumulative appreciation in U.S. home prices expected by our panel was 10.3 percent for the years 2012 through 2014. Now, two years later, the average prediction among our experts for the same period is just 3.5 percent," said Terry Loebs, founder of Pulsenomics. "This translates into $1.25 trillion less housing wealth than expected nationally over the coming three years."
Additional details regarding this portion of the survey are available at www.pulsenomics.com.
This is the 14th edition of the Home Price Expectations Survey, and it was conducted from May 31-June 14, 2012, by Pulsenomics LLC on behalf of Zillow, Inc.
Zillow (NASDAQ: Z) is the leading real estate information marketplace, providing vital information about homes, real estate listings and mortgages through its website and mobile applications, enabling homeowners, buyers, sellers and renters to connect with real estate and mortgage professionals best suited to meet their needs. In addition, Zillow operates an industry-leading economics and analytics bureau led by Zillow's Chief Economist Dr. Stan Humphries. Dr. Humphries and his team of economists and data analysts produce extensive housing data and research covering more than 150 markets at Zillow Real Estate Research. Zillow, Inc. operates Zillow.com®, Zillow Mortgage Marketplace, Zillow Mobile, Postlets®, Diverse Solutions™ and RentJuice®. The company is headquartered in Seattle.
Zillow.com, Zillow, Postlets and RentJuice are registered trademarks of Zillow, Inc. Diverse Solutions is a trademark of Zillow, Inc.
Case-Shiller is a registered trademark of Case Shiller Weiss, Inc.
Pulsenomics LLC is an independent research and consulting firm that specializes in data analytics, new product and index development for institutional clients in the financial and real estate arenas. Pulsenomics also designs and manages expert surveys and consumer polls to identify trends and expectations that are relevant to effective business management and monitoring economic health.
[i] Based on the 25 percent most optimistic panelists in terms of cumulative home price change through 2016.
[ii] Based on the 25 percent most pessimistic panelists in terms of cumulative home price change through 2016.
SOURCE Zillow, Inc.
- Annual U.S. Home Value Appreciation Exceeds 5 Percent for Sixth Straight Month in April
- In Almost Two-Thirds Of U.S. Metros, Buying Beats Renting In Three Years Or Less
- Zillow Digs' User-Generated Content Drives Rapid Growth
- Critical Alerts For Ford, Hologic, United Therapeutics, Apollo Group, and Zillow Released By InvestorsObserver
- One-third of Homebuyers Surveyed Are Ill-prepared to Get a Mortgage
- Leading Investment Service Previews Earnings for Whole Foods, SodaStream, Green Mountain, Priceline.com & Others
- Bubble Fears Emerge As Experts Predict Home Value Appreciation Will Remain Above 5 Percent This Year
- U.S. Home Value Appreciation Rate Slows in First Quarter, But Values in Some Local Markets Remain at a Boil
- Better Homes and Gardens Metro Brokers and Intero Among 17 Additional Brokerages to Join Zillow Pro for Brokers Program
- Low Mortgage Rates Driving Record Home Affordability, But Prices Relative To Income Exceed Pre-Bubble Norms
Related Partner Headlines
- Zillow Stock Gaps Down On Today's Open (Z) - TheStreet.com
- Real Estate Operations Stocks, Including American Capital, Making Big Moves on November 6, 2012 - Investopedia
- Exclusive: Zillow CEO Talks Acquisition, Guidance (Update 1) - TheStreet.com
- Zillow Extends Slide on Weak Q4, Full-Year Revenue Guidance - Benzinga
- 5 Celebrity Homes That Won't Sell - TheStreet.com
- CBL & Associates Properties Among Real Estate Operations' Biggest Movers on October 5, 2012 - Investopedia
- Zillow Inc (Z): Today's Featured Diversified Services Laggard - TheStreet.com
- Real Estate Operations Stocks, Including Digital Realty Trust, Making Big Moves on October 4, 2012 - Investopedia
- Zillow Stock Falls On Unusually High Volume (Z) - TheStreet.com
- National Health Investors and More Big Movers in Real Estate Operations on September 21, 2012 - Investopedia
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,449.65 Trade time:11:07AM EDT Value change:▲62.07 (0.40%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,675.39 Trade time:11:07AM EDT Value change:▲6.23 (0.37%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,510.59 Trade time:11:07AM EDT Value change:▲8.47 (0.24%)
In The Wires
AT&T 4G LTE Available In Santa Cruz-Watsonville
HighLight Networks, Inc. Announces the Company's New Membership in The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, Inc.
Grupo Simec, S.A.B. de C.V. announces repurchases of its own shares
Health Information Technology Education Company Partners with UBM Medica US
SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Levi & Korsinsky, LLP Announces Investigation into Possible Breaches of Fiduciary Duty by the Board of Websense, Inc. in Connection with the Sale of the Company to Vista Equity Partners
Anritsu and NETGEAR® Demonstrate Ultra-Fast Throughput of First Commercial LTE-Advanced Release 10 Carrier Aggregation Device at CTIA2013
Boston Scientific Reports Lotus™ Valve System Met Primary Performance Endpoint in REPRISE II Trial
Flowers Foods Announces Three-for-Two Stock Split And Increases Annual Dividend Rate At Shareholders Meeting