Abbott Receives FDA Approval for Healon EndoCoat Protective Gel for Cataract Surgery
Published on Tuesday, 03 July 2012 09:09 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
ABBOTT PARK, Ill., July 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Abbott announced today that it has expanded its Healon® family of ophthalmic viscosurgical devices (OVDs) with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval of Healon EndoCoat OVD, a device intended for use as a surgical aid in cataract extraction and intraocular lens (IOL) implantation.
This clear, viscous, protective gel formula is injected into a patient's eye to protect and coat the eye during surgery, reducing trauma to the inside layer of the cornea and other surrounding tissues.
The surgical delivery system for Healon EndoCoat OVD includes a number of features for increased patient safety and ease of handling for the physician, including a smaller delivery device and improved ergonomics for a smooth and consistent delivery of the formula into the eye.
"A dispersive OVD is highly desirable at the beginning of the cataract removal process to help protect the eye from nuclear particles and ultrasonic energy," said Roger F. Steinert, MD, Irving H. Leopold Professor and Chair, Director, Gavin Herbert Eye Institute, University of California, Irvine. "Healon EndoCoat OVD is ideal for this protective barrier. It has outstanding clarity and does not require refrigeration, which reduces surgicenter storage costs and improves ease of use compared to a cold syringe."
With nearly 3 million patients undergoing cataract surgery each year in the United States, dispersives such as Healon EndoCoat OVD are expected to account for approximately 50 percent of the total OVD market in 2012, according to the independent ophthalmic research firm Market Scope.
Additionally, Healon EndoCoat OVD can be used in combination with any other Healon products such as Healon OVD, Healon GV OVD or Healon5 OVD.
"Healon OVDs offer the surgeon the ultimate in control, clarity and ease-of-use during every step of the cataract procedure," said Jim Mazzo, senior vice president, Abbott Medical Optics. "The U.S. approval of Healon EndoCoat OVD adds to a reliable portfolio of OVDs that has been known and trusted for more than 25 years and proven safe worldwide."
Healon EndoCoat OVD is also available in Europe, Canada and New Zealand. The product will begin shipping immediately in the United States.
To learn more about Abbott's entire family of Healon OVDs, please visit www.abbottmedicaloptics.com.
About Abbott Medical Optics (AMO)
Abbott Medical Optics is focused on delivering life-improving vision technologies to people of all ages. The company offers a comprehensive portfolio of cataract, refractive and eye care products. Products in the cataract line include monofocal and multifocal intraocular lenses (IOLs), phacoemulsification systems, viscoelastics, and related products used in ocular surgery. Products in the refractive line include wavefront diagnostic devices, femtosecond lasers and associated patient interface devices; excimer laser vision correction systems and treatment cards. Products in the eye care line include disinfecting solutions, enzymatic cleaners, lens rewetting drops and artificial tears.
For more information, please visit www.abbottmedicaloptics.com.
Abbott is a global, broad-based health care company devoted to the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of pharmaceuticals and medical products, including nutritionals, devices and diagnostics. The company employs approximately 91,000 people and markets its products in more than 130 countries.
Abbott's news releases and other information are available on the company's Web site at www.abbott.com.
- Abbott Announces New $3 Billion Share Repurchase Program, Declares Dividend
- Abbott Initiates Randomized Clinical Trial in Japan to Evaluate the Absorb™ Bioresorbable Vascular Scaffold
- Abbott to Present at Wells Fargo Securities Research & Economics 2013 Healthcare Conference
- Two Real-World European Studies of Abbott's Minimally Invasive MitraClip® Device Demonstrate Positive Outcomes for Patients with Mitral Regurgitation
- Abbott to Present at William Blair 33rd Annual Growth Stock Conference
- Abbott to Present at Goldman Sachs 34th Annual Global Healthcare Conference
- Abbott to Present at Deutsche Bank 38th Annual Health Care Conference
- Abbott Announces CE Mark for World's Longest Coronary Drug Eluting Stent
- Abbott Announces CE Mark for Test to Aid Doctors with Diagnosing and Monitoring Diabetes
- Abbott to Present at UBS Global Healthcare Conference
Related Partner Headlines
- Abbott Laboratories Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (ABT) - TheStreet.com
- Abbott Offers Details on Phase 3 Hep C Program - Benzinga
- Gilead, Abbott Unwrap Dueline Hep C Data (Updated) - TheStreet.com
- Abbott Announces Results of Analysis Exploring the Use of HUMIRA - Benzinga
- Gilead, Abbott Unwrap Dueling Hep C Pill Data - TheStreet.com
- Biotech Stock Mailbag: Sarepta, Acadia, Vical and a Hep C Preview - TheStreet.com
- Cramer's Top Stock Picks: ABT AFCE HSIC - TheStreet.com
- Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Pros and Cons - TheStreet.com
- Abbott Laboratories (ABT): Today's Featured Drugs Laggard - TheStreet.com
- Obama Win Exposes Medical Stocks to QE Fatigue - TheStreet.com
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,112.19 Trade time:4:52PM EDT Value change:▼206.04 (-1.35%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,628.93 Trade time:4:52PM EDT Value change:▼22.88 (-1.39%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,443.20 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:0.00 (0.00%)
In The Wires
MediaTek Client and Access Point Included in Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ ac Test Bed
Raytheon unveils Excalibur with dual-mode guidance
JobSearchDigest.com Schedules Live Private Equity Training on June 25, 2013
Cheap Enrique Iglesias Tickets: Fans Save Big on Enrique Iglesias Concert Tickets by Shopping Online at BuyCheapTicketsToEvents.com
Everyday Noble Clothing Announces Exclusive Clothing Collaboration with Crown the Empire
Columbia Forest Products Introduces New Corporate Brand Identity, Logo and Tagline
Tetragon Financial Group Limited (TFG) Monthly Update For May 2013
Raytheon's next generation of Enhanced Paveway™ II provides improved capability, performance