Microsoft to Acquire Perceptive Pixel Inc.
Published on Monday, 09 July 2012 11:14 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
Perceptive Pixel's large-scale, multi-touch hardware and software technology will unlock new collaboration and productivity scenarios.
REDMOND, Wash. and NEW YORK, July 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Microsoft Corp. and Perceptive Pixel Inc. (PPI) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Microsoft will acquire PPI, a recognized leader in research, development and production of large-scale, multi-touch display solutions.
"The acquisition of PPI allows us to draw on our complementary strengths, and we're excited to accelerate this market evolution," said Kurt DelBene, president, Office Division for Microsoft. "PPI's large touch displays, when combined with hardware from our OEMs, will become powerful Windows 8-based PCs and open new possibilities for productivity and collaboration."
Founded in 2006 by Jeff Han, a renowned pioneer in multi-touch technology, PPI shipped its first multi-touch workstation and large wall solutions in early 2007. In 2008 its technology gained widespread recognition for transforming the way CNN and other broadcasters covered the 2008 U.S. presidential election. In 2009 the Smithsonian awarded the company the National Design Award in the inaugural category of Interaction Design. PPI's patented technologies are used across a wide variety of industries such as government, defense, broadcast, energy exploration, engineering and higher education, and its expertise in both software and hardware will contribute to success in broad scenarios such as collaboration, meetings and presentations.
"We are incredibly excited to be working together on our mutual passion to build technologies that enable people to collaborate and communicate," Han said. "By joining Microsoft, we will be able to take advantage of the tremendous momentum of the Microsoft Office Division, tightly interoperate with its products, and deliver this technology to a very broad set of customers."
Terms of the deal were not disclosed. The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approval.
About Perceptive Pixel Inc.
Perceptive Pixel Inc. (PPI) is a recognized leader in interaction design, having pioneered the development of large-scale, unlimited multi-touch devices that came to prominence during the historic 2008 U.S. presidential elections. PPI's advanced multi-touch technology platform enables professionals to get closer to their content, removing barriers to understanding, communication and collaboration. PPI is privately held and headquartered in New York. For more information, visit www.perceptivepixel.com.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
SOURCE Microsoft Corp.
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One: the ultimate all-in-one home entertainment system
- Microsoft and National Football League announce multiyear landmark partnership to enhance the game for fans, players and coaches
- Microsoft Corp. Announces mcaConnect Winner for Industry Partner of the Year Award 2013
- Microsoft announces winners and finalists of the 2013 Partner of the Year awards
- Major League Soccer and Windows 8 bring fans the smartest league experience
- Telefonica to improve communication and collaboration for employees worldwide using Microsoft cloud technologies
- Businesses choose Microsoft Office 365 over Google Apps
- Microsoft names Corporate Vice President Amy Hood as new Microsoft chief financial officer
- Critical Alerts For Microsoft, Suncor Energy, Eli Lilly, TRW Automotive, and Embraer Released By InvestorsObserver
- 200 Outlook.com Customers To Have Access To Once In A Lifetime Music Experiences
Related Partner Headlines
- Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
- Bull Vs. Bear - Microsoft On The Rise (MSFT, GOOG, EBAY, BRK-B) - Investopedia
- Bull Vs. Bear - Microsoft Stinks (MSFT, NOK, AAPL, GOOG) - Investopedia
- Steven Sinofsky Denies Windows 8 and WP8 Merger Rumor - Benzinga
- Dow Today: Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) Lower - TheStreet.com
- Why's Microsoft's Windows Boss Leaving? A Bad Job Review? - TheStreet.com
- A Strange Shakeup at Microsoft - TheStreet.com
- Mid-Morning Market Update: Markets Mixed; Microsoft Falls; Home Depot Sees a Boost - Benzinga
- Sinofsky Leaving Microsoft Not Negative Sign for Windows 8 - Raymond James - Benzinga
- Sinofsky Departure May Suggest Win 8 Not Meeting Internal Expectations - MKM - Benzinga
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,304.19 Trade time:3:20PM EDT Value change:▼2.98 (-0.02%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,650.89 Trade time:3:20PM EDT Value change:▼4.46 (-0.27%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,457.83 Trade time:3:20PM EDT Value change:▼5.47 (-0.16%)
In The Wires
MGC Diagnostics Corporation to Report Second Quarter Fiscal 2013 Financial Results on Thursday, May 30, 2013
Coors Light Featuring Ball's Alumi-Tek® Bottle Wins Packaging Association, Canadian Packaging Awards
Flexjet Reports 83 Percent Growth in New Business
Southwest Airlines Vice President Of Diversity And Inclusion Wins The Rosa Parks Diversity Leadership Award
AK Steel Announces Price Increase For Carbon Steel Products
Acquisition of Multiband Corporation by privately held Goodman Networks Incorporated May Not Be in the Best Interests of Multiband Shareholders
Destination America And USA WEEKEND Announce Winners Of The Inaugural "RED, WHITE AND YOU" Contest
Noble Energy Announces $500,000 Donation To Support Oklahoma Relief And Recovery