Most Support Reform of Violence Against Women Act, SAVE Survey Shows
Published on Tuesday, 17 July 2012 09:49 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
WASHINGTON, July 17, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- A strong majority of registered voters participating in a national survey support reforming the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). These persons support measures currently being debated in Congress that are designed to curb the waste, discrimination, and false allegations which are occurring under the current VAWA law.
Commissioned by Stop Abusive and Violent Environments (SAVE), a victim advocacy organization, the survey shows strong support for reform among key voting blocs including women, young people, and domestic violence victims themselves.
Nearly 7 in 10 respondents – 69.5% -- support changing the existing law to curb waste and fraud. SAVE has previously documented the lack of fiscal oversight of federally-funded domestic violence programs: http://saveservices.org/pdf/SAVE-Accountability-and-Oversight.pdf
Strong majorities also support reforming VAWA to stem false allegations – 63.5% of persons surveyed -- and discriminatory practices – 65.9% of respondents -- that the law has allowed.
About 7 in 10 persons who are a victim of domestic violence or who personally know an abuse victim support the proposed changes. Notable among the survey's results are the demographics that support VAWA reform:
- Women participating in the survey are more likely than men to support reform of the Violence Against Women Act.
- Individuals under the age of 50 are more likely to support VAWA reform than those who are older.
- Republicans are more likely than Democrats to support reforms to reduce fraud, discrimination, and false allegations.
Survey respondents are not necessarily representative of all registered voters. The survey methods and detailed findings can be seen here: http://www.saveservices.org/campaign-2012/national-survey-on-vawa-reform/
"Even though we have begun the process of reform, America has a long way to go before true victims of domestic violence get priority and damaging false allegations come to an end," says SAVE spokesman Philip W. Cook. "No one knows this better than the victims of domestic violence themselves."
Contact: Teri Stoddard
This information was brought to you by Cision http://www.cisionwire.com
- Advantage Announces Updated Corporate Presentation
- Atmel ARM- and AVR-based Microcontrollers Power Secret Labs' Ultra-low-power Smart Watch
- Fortress International Group, Inc. Acquires Data Center Integration Services Business
- Google Is Near a Key Resistance Area
- Blount International to Participate in the 2013 KeyBanc Capital Markets Industrial, Automotive, and Transportation Conference
- Yingli Green Energy Announces Preliminary Financial Results for First Quarter 2013
- Carrier® WeatherExpert™ Rises to Department of Energy Challenge Reaching 20.8 IEER Rating
- Ubiquiti Report Reveals Current 'State of WiFi' Hampers Mobile Productivity
- Pandora Introduces New Album Previews with Launch of Pandora Premieres Station
- ShoreTel Enables Staffing Firms to Gain Competitive Advantage
Related Partner Headlines
- Petronas Posts 30% Decline In Q2 Net Profit - Benzinga
- Mail.Ru H1 Net Profit Rises 54.3% - Benzinga
- Advanced Medical H1 Pretax Profit Surges 72% - Benzinga
- Markets Jump After FOMC Comments on Easing - Benzinga
- Feel the Energy and Excitement of the Forex & Options Expo in Las Vegas - Benzinga
- Amazon's Living Social Stake Sees Value Decline - Benzinga
- Fender Withdraws IPO - Benzinga
- Benzinga Market Primer, Friday July 6: Non-Farm Payrolls Edition - Benzinga
- An Introduction to Forex Trading - Benzinga
- Benzinga Market Primer, Friday June 22 - Benzinga
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,335.28 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:0.00 (0.00%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,666.29 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:0.00 (0.00%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,496.43 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:0.00 (0.00%)
In The Wires
/R E P E A T -- Scotiabank to Announce Second Quarter Results/
3D Eye Solutions, Inc. Announcement of new director, CEO & President Mr. Clark Ortiz
Mitsubishi Electric to Enhance Global Smart Meter Business through Collaboration with Echelon
Here's the Dish -- Complimentary Breakfast for Marriott Rewards Gold & Platinum Members
Manas Petroleum Corp. Files Quarterly Report Q1 2013
Numerex and Huawei Team Up for M2M Communication Innovation
Newsbyte: New Guide from SAP Helps Enterprises Navigate the Mobile Commerce Opportunity to Engage Customers and Build Loyalty in Developed and Emerging Markets
IsoRay Announces A New International Distributor For Greece