NASDAQ OMX and The NASDAQ Stock Market File Proposed Voluntary Accommodation Program for Review by Securities and Exchange Commission
Published on Friday, 20 July 2012 18:42 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
NEW YORK, July 20, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The NASDAQ OMX Group and The NASDAQ Stock Market today announced that it will file a proposed voluntary accommodation program with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for qualifying members who were disadvantaged by technical problems that arose during the Facebook IPO on May 18.
After carefully examining the trading activity that day and in consultation with market participants, NASDAQ OMX has decided to modify the preliminary accommodation program announced on June 6 in several significant ways:
- The program provides for a priority of accommodation to customers of members.
- All accommodations will be paid in cash, simplifying the process and eliminating trading credits from the earlier proposal.
- After careful analysis, the program has broadened the eligibility by adding a new class of orders to be accommodated in addition to the three classes that were announced in June.
- The program creates a $62 million fund for voluntary accommodations, which is $22 million larger than the June proposal.
"We deeply regret the problems encountered during the initial public offering of Facebook," said Robert Greifeld, chief executive officer and president of the NASDAQ OMX Group. "We failed to meet our own high standards based on our long history of providing outstanding technology to our members and exchange customers. We have learned from this experience and we will continue to improve our trading platforms.''
The independent Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) has agreed to evaluate claims submitted by firms under the voluntary accommodations program. NASDAQ OMX has issued an Equity Trader Alert advising members on how to request accommodations. It is important for an understanding of the program to refer to the SEC filing that will be posted on our website.
The program will provide accommodations under certain conditions involving four kinds of orders that were placed during the IPO cross:
- Sells priced at $42 or less that did not execute
- Sells priced at $42 or less that executed at an inferior price
- Buys priced at $42 that were executed in the cross but not immediately confirmed
- Buys priced above $42 that were executed in the cross but not immediately confirmed and were attempted to be cancelled.
In calculating trading losses, the loss will be the lesser of
- The difference between the expected execution price in the cross at opening of $42 and the actual execution price received; or
- The difference between the expected execution price in the cross at opening of $42 and a benchmark price of $40.527 (the volume-weighted average price of Facebook stock on May 18, 2012, between 1:50 pm and 2:35 pm).
- All claims under category 4 above will be reduced by 30 percent.
The filing of the proposed accommodation plan begins a comment period with the SEC. Under the proposed program, members will have seven days to make an accommodation request following approval of the program by the SEC. Details of how members may file will be posted on our website. It is anticipated all compensation under the accommodation plan will be provided within six months.
About NASDAQ OMX Group
The inventor of the electronic exchange, The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc., fuels economies and provides transformative technologies for the entire lifecycle of a trade - from risk management to trade to surveillance to clearing. In the U.S. and Europe, we own and operate 24 markets, 3 clearinghouses and 5 central securities depositories supporting equities, options, fixed income, derivatives, commodities, futures and structured products. Able to process more than 1 million messages per second at sub-40 microsecond speeds with 99.999% uptime, our technology drives more than 70 marketplaces in 50 developed and emerging countries into the future, powering 1 in 10 of the world's securities transactions. Our award-winning data products and worldwide indexes are the benchmarks in the financial industry. Home to approximately 3,400 listed companies worth $6.2 trillion in market cap whose innovations shape our world, we give the ideas of tomorrow access to capital today. Welcome to where the world takes a big leap forward, daily. Welcome to the NASDAQ OMX Century. To learn more, visit www.nasdaqomx.com. Follow us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/NASDAQ) and Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/nasdaqomx). (Symbol: NDAQ and member of S&P 500)
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
The matters described herein may contain forward-looking statements that are made under the Safe Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements include, but are not limited to, statements about the proposed voluntary accommodation plan and other NASDAQ OMX initiatives. We caution that these statements are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve a number of risks, uncertainties or other factors beyond NASDAQ OMX's control. These factors include, but are not limited to, factors detailed in NASDAQ OMX's annual report on Form 10-K, and periodic reports filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. We undertake no obligation to release any revisions to any forward-looking statements.
- Bulls taking Control of NASDAQ?
- Neutral Short Term Pattern on NASDAQ
- NASDAQ: Waiting for Direction
- Is NASDAQ Trade Over?
- NASDAQ Short term Bullish Reversal
- NASDAQ Bearish Signs
- Brazil's Market Surveillance Project Goes Live Across All Markets at BM&FBOVESPA
- National Geographic Channel's Brain Games to Ring The NASDAQ Stock Market Closing Bell
- NASDAQ OMX Corporate Solutions Selected to Provide the Scottish Public Sector With a Collaborative Media Services Framework
- New York Cares to Ring The NASDAQ Stock Market Opening Bell
Related Partner Headlines
- Sandy Forces Closure of Stock Markets Through Tuesday - TheStreet.com
- UPDATE: NASDAQ Stock Market to be Closed on Tuesday - Benzinga
- Stock Markets Closed as Superstorm Looms - TheStreet.com
- Top 4 Mid-Cap Stocks In The Diversified Investments Industry With The Highest Cash - Benzinga
- The NASDAQ Stock Market to be Closed on Monday October 29 - Benzinga
- Top 4 Mid-Cap Stocks In The Diversified Investments Industry With The Highest EPS Estimates - Benzinga
- NASDAQ OMX Group Inc. (NDAQ): Today's Featured Financial Services Laggard - TheStreet.com
- NASDAQ OMX Group Inc. (NDAQ): Today's Featured Financial Services Winner - TheStreet.com
- NASDAQ OMX and The NASDAQ Stock Market File Proposed Voluntary Accommodation Program for Review by Securities and Exchange Commission - Benzinga
- NASDAQ OMX Group Inc. (NDAQ): Today's Featured Financial Loser - TheStreet.com
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,335.28 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▼19.12 (-0.12%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,666.29 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▼1.18 (-0.07%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,496.43 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▼2.54 (-0.07%)
In The Wires
SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Law Office of Brodsky & Smith, LLC Announces Investigation of Meade Instruments Corp. - MEAD
CBOE Holdings Files Additional Definitive Materials With Respect To 2013 Annual Meeting
Trade Street Residential Completes $63 Million Of New Investments
Natural Resource Partners L.P. To Present at National Association of Publicly Traded Partnerships 2013 MLP Investor Conference
CNO Financial Group Completes Amendment to Senior Secured Credit Facility
Regal Beloit Corporation To Present At The KeyBanc Capital Markets' Industrial, Automotive and Transportation Conference
Sherwin-Williams Unveils A Colorful Salute To Cleveland
Carnival Corporation & plc Updates Earnings Guidance For Second Half Of 2013