SunPower Solar Science Academy Underway at School Districts in California and Arizona
Published on Thursday, 02 August 2012 08:31 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
Hands-On Engineering Curriculum Prepares Students for Bright Futures; Brings Technology from On-site Solar Power Systems into Classrooms
SAN JOSE, Calif., Aug. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- This summer, SunPower Corp. (NASDAQ: SPWR) is introducing its SunPower Solar Science Academy to more than 140 students from six K-12 school districts in California and Arizona. Each week-long program features solar-focused curriculum with an emphasis on science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), blending lectures and field trips with problem-solving discussions and practical applications of knowledge.
"For 20 years I've worked on business-sponsored projects that connect hands-on experience to the classroom," said Randy Wallace, director, Tulare County Office of Education. "The SunPower Solar Science Academy is by far the most organized and engaging project I've seen. I'm amazed at the knowledge staff and students are gaining as a result of the program."
Mount Diablo, San Ramon Valley, West Contra Costa and Porterville Unified School Districts, as well as Oxnard Union High School District, are hosting SunPower Solar Science Academies for students this summer, while Scottsdale Unified School District in Arizona will launch the program in the fall.
In addition to partnering with the districts on the academies, SunPower has also worked with them to provide on-site SunPower solar power systems that generate clean, renewable solar power for their facilities, and significant savings for their general funds.
"California schools are expected to achieve up to $1.5 billion in savings on their electricity bills over the next 30 years as a result of on-site solar power systems. The SunPower Solar Science Academy helps further leverage on-campus installations by bringing the technology into classrooms," said SunPower Managing Director Bill Kelly. "It is really rewarding for SunPower, which developed our leading solar technology here in California, to have that technology inspire kids towards excellence in their education."
The Solar Science Academy curriculum was developed in partnership with district teachers under guidance from the Contra Costa Economic Partnership (CCEP), a nonprofit association of business, education and public sector leaders dedicated to creating and retaining quality jobs. Twenty-four teachers have contributed to the academies, funded by SunPower, by creating lesson plans, leading academy sessions or participating in solar training courses.
Throughout the school year, SunPower is also providing solar teaching tools to participating districts through programs established by Project Lead the Way in California. Project Lead the Way is a non-profit organization that partners with public schools, organizations, and higher education institutions to increase the number and quality of engineers, technologists, and biomedical professionals graduating from our educational system. The courses provide opportunities for students to understand the scientific process, engineering problem-solving and the application of technology.
"The engaging coursework provided by SunPower and CCEP allows students to explore the practical applications of solar technology, inspiring them to consider the rewards and benefits of pursuing technical and engineering careers," said Dr. Duane Crum, state leader for Project Lead the Way's California program.
SunPower Corp. (NASDAQ: SPWR) designs, manufactures and delivers the highest efficiency, highest reliability solar panels and systems available today. Residential, business, government and utility customers rely on the company's quarter century of experience and guaranteed performance to provide maximum return on investment throughout the life of the solar system. Headquartered in San Jose, Calif., SunPower has offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Africa and Asia. For more information, visit www.sunpowercorp.com.
SunPower is a registered trademark of SunPower Corp. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE SunPower Corp.
- SunPower Announces Fiscal Year 2013 Guidance
- MyEnergi Lifestyle Contest Offers Home Energy Makeover, Ford C-MAX Energi - Featured on 'Katie' Show
- Critical Alerts For US Steel, Adobe, SunPower, Garmin, and Shire Group Released By InvestorsObserver
- SunPower Solar System Expected to Save Western Municipal Water District Millions Over the Next Two Decades
- SunPower Reports First-Quarter 2013 Results
- Verizon Launches Green Energy Project to Power 19 Company Facilities Across the Country
- MidAmerican Solar and SunPower Start Major Construction on World's Largest Solar Power Development
- Home Is Where the Hybrid Is: KB Home Features Ford's MyEnergi Lifestyle
- Two SunPower Solar Systems under Construction for Yolo County
- SunPower to Announce First-Quarter Results on May 2, 2013
Related Partner Headlines
- Semiconductors Stocks, Including KLA-Tencor, Making Big Moves on November 12, 2012 - Investopedia
- SunPower Solar Power Plant at NAWS China Lake Begins Operations - Benzinga
- SunPower Plan to Restructure Philippines Manufacturing Operations - Benzinga
- SunPower Invests in Australian Renewable Electricity Retailer Diamond Energy - Benzinga
- Epuron Acquires SunPower Asset - Benzinga
- UK Solar Stocks Could Shine Plugging Into Incentive Plan - TheStreet.com
- SunPower Stock Hits New 52-Week Low (SPWR) - TheStreet.com
- Total and SunPower Commission a New Solar Panel Manufacturing Plant in France - Benzinga
- K Road Power Acquires 25-Megawatt McHenry Solar Project From SunPower - Benzinga
- UPDATE: Citi Upgrades SunPower; Raises PT - Benzinga
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,354.40 Trade time:4:40PM EDT Value change:▲121.18 (0.80%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,667.47 Trade time:4:39PM EDT Value change:▲17.00 (1.03%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,498.97 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▲33.73 (0.97%)
In The Wires
LA Clippers NBA Apparel on Sale at SportsFanPlayground.com
Prom Dresses Deals For Summer Announced by AmorModa.com
MS Tûranor PlanetSolar Sets World Speed Record for Transatlantic Crossing by Solar Electric Vessel
Zamansky & Associates LLC Announces Its Investigation of Financial Advisor John Pritchard of Raymond James Morgan Keegan And Oppenheimer
HomeThangs.com Introduces A Guide To Choosing A Professional Quality Range Hood
Texas Adds More Jobs Than Any Other State in Country, EmploymentCrossing Finds 185,000 Jobs in State
Torrance Moving Company provides useful information about planning a summer move!
ForexMinute Now Offers Minute to Minute Bitcoins News for Online Traders and Brokers