Funded Status of U.S. Corporate Pensions Falls to Lowest Recorded Level in July, According to BNY Mellon
Published on Friday, 03 August 2012 07:50 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
Level Declines to 68.7 Percent as Liabilities Rise Sharply
NEW YORK, Aug. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The funded status of the typical U.S. corporate pension plan in July fell 2.9 percentage points to 68.7 percent, the lowest level since BNY Mellon began tracking this information in December 2007.
The decrease was driven by a sharp spike in liabilities, which increased 5.5 percent, outpacing a 1.2 percent gain in assets at the typical corporate plan, according to the BNY Mellon Pension Summary Report for July 2012. The funded status of the typical plan has now fallen 3.7 percentage points during 2012.
The rise in liabilities resulted from the 34 basis-point drop in the Aa corporate discount rate to 3.64 percent. Plan liabilities are calculated using the yields of long-term investment grade bonds. Lower yields on these bonds result in higher liabilities.
Assets in the typical plan benefit from rising equity markets, including a one percent gain in U.S. equity markets and a 1.1 percent increase in international developed markets, according to BNY Mellon.
"The continuing uncertainty regarding the euro zone and lack of a coordinated response to the debt issues in Europe continue to send investors into bonds that are perceived to be a safe haven," said Jeffrey B. Saef, managing director, BNY Mellon Asset Management, and head of the BNY Mellon Investment Strategy and Solutions Group (a division of The Bank of New York Mellon). As long this uncertainty remains, we expect to see very low interest rates, which will continue to pressure plan sponsors."
Saef also noted that portfolios for plan sponsors have performed well, with assets rising more than seven percent during the first seven months of the year for the typical U.S. corporate plan. However, he added, "Hitting a return target isn't enough these days if you're not keeping up with the growth in liabilities."
Notes to Editors:
BNY Mellon Investment Management is one of the world's leading investment management organizations and one of the top U.S. wealth managers, with $1.3 trillion in assets under management. It encompasses BNY Mellon's affiliated investment management firms, wealth management services and global distribution companies. More information can be found at www.bnymellon.com.
BNY Mellon is a global financial services company focused on helping clients manage and service their financial assets, operating in 36 countries and serving more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon is a leading provider of financial services for institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals, offering superior investment management and investment services through a worldwide client-focused team. It has $27.1 trillion in assets under custody and administration and $1.3 trillion in assets under management, services $11.5 trillion in outstanding debt and processes global payments averaging $1.4 trillion per day. BNY Mellon is the corporate brand of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE: BK). Additional information is available on www.bnymellon.com or follow us on Twitter@BNYMellon.
All information source BNY Mellon as of June 30, 2012. This press release is qualified for issuance in the US only and is for information purposes only. It does not constitute an offer or solicitation of securities or investment services or an endorsement thereof in any jurisdiction or in any circumstance in which such offer or solicitation is unlawful or not authorized. This press release is issued by BNY Mellon Investment Management to members of the financial press and media and the information contained herein should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is not a guide to future performance.
A BNY Mellon Company
SOURCE BNY Mellon
- BNY Mellon Plans to Increase its Wealth Management Sales Force by 50%
- BNY Mellon Appointed as Depositary Bank by UBIC, Inc.
- BNY Mellon CSD signs T2S Framework Agreement
- Pershing and BNY Mellon Combine Bank and Brokerage Custody into a Single Service Offering
- BNY Mellon Supports Greater Boston PFLAG's Step UP! Pride and Passion 2013
- BNY Mellon Announces Redemption of Capital Securities
- Eagle Helps Clients Address Regulation, Risk Management with LEI and Cleared Swaps Support
- Prolonged Multi-Year Global Economic Expansion Expected Says BNY Mellon's Chief Economist Richard Hoey
- U.S. Equities Propel First Quarter Returns for U.S. Master Trust Universe, says BNY Mellon
- BNY Mellon Named Successor Depositary by Westpac Banking Corporation
Related Partner Headlines
- Bank Of New York Mellon Corp Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (BK) - TheStreet.com
- 5 Stocks Pushing The Financial Sector Higher - TheStreet.com
- Bank Of New York Mellon Stock Hits New 52-Week High (BK) - TheStreet.com
- Trust Banks: Financial Winners - TheStreet.com
- 4 Stocks Pushing The Financial Services Industry Higher - TheStreet.com
- Bank Of New York Mellon Corp (BK): Today's Featured Financial Services Laggard - TheStreet.com
- Gabriela Parcella Named Chairman of Mellon Capital - Benzinga
- Bank Of New York Mellon Corp Stock Upgraded (BK) - TheStreet.com
- Bank Of New York Mellon Stock To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow (BK) - TheStreet.com
- Bank Of New York Mellon Corp Stock Hold Recommendation Reiterated (BK) - TheStreet.com
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,307.17 Trade time:4:44PM EDT Value change:▼80.41 (-0.52%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,655.35 Trade time:4:43PM EDT Value change:▼13.81 (-0.83%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,463.30 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:0.00 (0.00%)
In The Wires
GeckoSystems, an AI Mobile Robot Co., Signs $5M Joint Venture Contract
PantoneLIVE Puts P&G Iconic Brand Colors in the Cloud
Uganda Selects IBM and Waterfund to Benchmark Water Infrastructure
SunPower Announces Pricing of $300 Million Aggregate Principal Amount of its 0.75% Senior Convertible Debentures due 2018
The Coffee World Just Got A Little More Exciting
Dentisoft Technologies Offers Dental Symphony Periodontal App (ePerioCare) Integration for Advanced Periodontal Charting
BCC Research Projects the Flexible Devices Manufactured by Roll-to-Roll Technologies to Reach Nearly $22.7 Billion by 2017
Energy Star Certification Makes Leapfrog Lighting’s PAR30 LEDs Eligible for Rebates and Proves the Durability Claim of the Commercial Quality Lamps