Baton Rouge Veterinarian Warns Pet Owners to Plan Ahead for Vacations
Published on Sunday, 05 August 2012 10:08 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
BATON ROUGE, La., Aug. 5, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Dr. Frederic Michaelson, a Baton Rouge veterinarian of Jefferson Animal Hospital, warns pet owners to take preparatory steps if they plan to take their pets on vacation. He urges people to honestly assess their pets' travel readiness, and to remember that pet boarding may be the safest, most enjoyable option for their pets. Dr. Michaelson advises pet owners to make an appointment at the animal clinic for a health assessment before planning a vacation with their pets, particularly if they will be traveling by air.
Dr. Michaelson explains that preparation is critical. "Come to the animal clinic first. Pets must be current on their vaccinations, flea and tick preventatives and prescriptions. We also provide health certificates required by airlines and foreign destinations. Call the airlines, your hotels and other destinations ahead of time to ask about pet requirements and fees. Research the locations of pet hospitals at your destination so you know what to do and where to go if you have an animal emergency. I recommend Baton Rouge pet microchip insertion, which is critical if your pet gets lost. And make sure your pet has a strong leash and collar with up-to-date ID tags."
Whether traveling by car or plane, Dr. Haase, a veterinarian at the hospital, recommends investing in a travel-sturdy pet crate. Dr. Haase says travel crates keep pets safe and provide a comforting place for them in new places. Crates should be large enough for pets to stand, lie down and turn around comfortably in. External rims or knobs should prevent ventilation holes on either side from being blocked. He recommends lining the crate bottom with 3 layers of "Chux" (blue-backed absorbent pads hospitals use). The exterior should have "Live Animal" labels, arrows indicating which way is up, and the owner's contact information in indelible ink. The crate must have a comfortable travel mat, a couple of the pet's favorite toys and a travel-safe water bottle.
Dr. Michaelson says pet owners also need to think about food, water and other ways to keep their pets healthy on vacation. Pets can suffer stomach problems if their food is switched abruptly, so people should prepare to pack a complete supply of their pet's regular food. He also suggests using bottled water if the water quality on vacation is uncertain. Keeping to the pet's regular sleep and exercise schedule also helps pets feel more secure on vacation, he explains.
Dr. Michaelson explains, "It may be cheaper and easier to simply let your pet stay with us in our boarding facility. But if you decide to take your pet, make sure to prepare!"
CONTACT: Jefferson Animal Hospital, 1-888-667-5235
- Raytheon's latest air traffic management systems go into continuous operation at two of the world's busiest airports
- One Night Only! "Hot" Live Girls On The TV Land Stage Wednesday Night!
- Newsbyte: SAP® Solutions Transform the World's Largest Sailing Event, 2013 Kieler Woche
- Raytheon delivers mini transponders for Identification Friend or Foe on Korean Air UAV
- Hainan Airlines Named 'Best China Airline' and 'Best China Airline Staff Service' at SKYTRAX 2013 World Airline Awards
- Nova Announces Leadership Change
- Coalspur Mines Limited - Board approves Vista project with development capital of C$458M for 6 Mtpa capacity
- Aegon to Provide Update on its Strategic Transformation and Progress Toward its 2015 Targets
- SPS Spindle Launches Onsite Taper Grinding
- Domainia Inc Announces the Launch of Yogadomainia.com, a Pre-registration and Awareness Solution for the New .YOGA gTLD
Related Partner Headlines
- Petronas Posts 30% Decline In Q2 Net Profit - Benzinga
- Mail.Ru H1 Net Profit Rises 54.3% - Benzinga
- Advanced Medical H1 Pretax Profit Surges 72% - Benzinga
- Markets Jump After FOMC Comments on Easing - Benzinga
- Feel the Energy and Excitement of the Forex & Options Expo in Las Vegas - Benzinga
- Amazon's Living Social Stake Sees Value Decline - Benzinga
- Fender Withdraws IPO - Benzinga
- Benzinga Market Primer, Friday July 6: Non-Farm Payrolls Edition - Benzinga
- An Introduction to Forex Trading - Benzinga
- Benzinga Market Primer, Friday June 22 - Benzinga
Recent Trading Ideas
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,318.23 Trade time:4:34PM EDT Value change:▲138.38 (0.91%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,651.81 Trade time:4:34PM EDT Value change:▲12.77 (0.78%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,482.18 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▲30.05 (0.87%)
In The Wires
Boeing, CIT Announce Order for 30 737 MAX 8s
LDK Solar Announces Worldwide Extension and Advanced Features of Warranty Insurance
Tetragon Financial Group Limited (TFG) Announcement
Ektron And Rackspace Collaborate To Deliver Enterprise Hybrid Cloud Hosting To Customers
Raytheon's Satellite Air Navigation System marks 10 years of continuous service in the US
Raytheon's latest air traffic management systems go into continuous operation at two of the world's busiest airports
One Night Only! "Hot" Live Girls On The TV Land Stage Wednesday Night!
Newsbyte: SAP® Solutions Transform the World's Largest Sailing Event, 2013 Kieler Woche