Financial Industry Survey Confirms Expanding In-Office Use of Mobile Devices and Apps; Data Suggests Likely Uptick in Tablet Sales Over Next 6-18 Months
Published on Wednesday, 15 August 2012 12:12 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
S&P Capital IQ Study Offers Insights Into User Brand Preferences and Functions; For office work, BlackBerrys trump iPhones
NEW YORK, Aug. 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- S&P Capital IQ, a leading provider of multi-asset class data, research and analytics, today released the results of a new survey detailing industry professionals' preference, use and likely future purchase intentions of financial apps and delivery systems. Responses to the survey – with more than 400 respondents from S&P Capital IQ's investment banking clients – underscore the growing relevance of mobile devices in the workplace and how smartphones, tablets and investor-directed apps have become an integral part of users' personal and professional lives. A copy of S&P Capital IQ's Mobile Usage Survey may be found here.
S&P Capital IQ, which already offers iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry and Android apps that enable access to news and analysis, financials, investment research, transcripts, filings, leveraged finance and personal information files from the S&P Capital IQ platforms, including CUSIP and LCD, undertook the survey to better gauge client interest and preferences for obtaining investment information and economic data on mobile devices. Among the results the S&P Capital IQ survey uncovered are:
- BlackBerrys still matter, but iPhones play a significant role as a dual-use device: Devices used for work vary as 39% of respondents use a BlackBerry and 36% use an iPhone for business matters; 58% of respondents use an iPhone in their personal lives;
- Mobile apps are largely used during travel and commuting, not during the day: Clients are most likely to use mobile apps when traveling (41% of responses), and least likely to use them during peak/busy periods (7% of responses) for work purposes;
- Tablets are for fun, not for work (yet): 61% of respondents said less than 20% of their tablet use was related to work, while 33% of respondents said 80-100% of their time spent on a tablet was for pleasure; and
- Demand for tablets continues; high percentage will upgrade to the "new new thing:" 70% of respondents will purchase their first tablet (32%) or upgrade to a newer version (38%) in the next six to 18 months.
"As mobile devices become ubiquitous, powerful and sophisticated, there is a real opportunity for our firm to deliver ground-breaking solutions and products that captivate and engage the financial community and ensure that we can provide our clients with a mobile experience that is useful, and complementary to their mobile lifestyle," said Bob Coppola, Chief Technology Officer, S&P Capital IQ.
"These findings have strong implications for S&P Capital IQ and other producers of financial information apps, especially for developing comprehensive cross-channel mobile strategies," said Amy Kadomatsu, Managing Director, S&P Capital IQ. "The enormous popularity of mobile devices has had a profound effect on the lifestyle of our clients, unleashing new levels of connectivity and business and personal mobility."
About S&P Capital IQ
S&P Capital IQ, a business line of The McGraw-Hill Companies (NYSE:MHP), is a leading provider of multi-asset class and real time data, research and analytics to institutional investors, investment and commercial banks, investment advisors and wealth managers, corporations and universities around the world. We provide a broad suite of capabilities designed to help track performance, generate alpha, and identify new trading and investment ideas, and perform risk analysis and mitigation strategies. Through leading desktop solutions such as the S&P Capital IQ, Global Credit Portal and MarketScope Advisor desktops; enterprise solutions such as S&P Capital IQ Valuations, and Compustat; and research offerings, including Leveraged Commentary & Data, Global Markets Intelligence, and company and funds research, S&P Capital IQ sharpens financial intelligence into the wisdom today's investors need. For more information visit: www.spcapitaliq.com.
SOURCE S&P Capital IQ
- MILA Sector Indices Launched by S&P Dow Jones Indices
- CUSIP Global Services Projects Surge in US Corporate and Muni Bond Issuance
- McGraw Hill Financial to Begin NYSE Trading Under New 'MHFI' Stock Symbol on Tuesday, May 14 at the Opening Bell
- Platts Survey: OPEC Pumps 30.5 Million Barrels of Crude Oil Per Day in April
- S&P Dow Jones Indices Wins Intellectual Property Dispute
- S&P Capital IQ and Kuberre Systems Sign Data Facilitator Agreement
- S&P Capital IQ Receives Seven Awards in The Wall Street Journal's Best on the Street Analysts Survey For 2013
- J.D. Power & Associates Reports: Advisor/Investor Relationship Drives Full Service Investor Satisfaction
- Platts Survey: High Capital Costs and Maintaining Public Confidence Cited as Greatest Challenges Facing European Nuclear Power Markets
- Weaker Asian Olefins Contribute to 5% Drop in Global Petrochemical Prices
Related Partner Headlines
- 3 Stocks Pushing The Media Industry Higher - TheStreet.com
- McGraw-Hill Companies Incorporated (MHP): Today's Featured Media Winner - TheStreet.com
- McGraw-Hill Companies' Third Quarter Earnings Report - Investopedia
- McGraw-Hill Companies Incorporated (MHP): Today's Featured Services Winner - TheStreet.com
- McGraw-Hill Companies Stock Hits New 52-Week High (MHP) - TheStreet.com
- Who's Afraid of the CRAs? - TheStreet.com
- From Earlier: McGraw-Hill Will Acquire Kingsman Sugar Research Company - Benzinga
- McGraw-Hill Companies Reaches New 52-Week High (MHP) - TheStreet.com
- McGraw-Hill Companies Reaches New 52-Week High (MHP) - TheStreet.com
- UPDATE: Benchmark Company Reiterates Buy Rating, Raises PT on The McGraw-Hill Companies - Benzinga
Recent Trading Ideas
Chesapeake Energy Is Close to Resistance
Windstream Is Near its 50 Day Moving Average
Applied Materials Is Close to Resistance
E*TRADE is Near a Key Support Area
First Solar is Near a Key Support Area
Trading Idea: Is Monster Worldwide close to Support?
Trading Idea: - Is Walgreen close to Resistance?
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,303.10 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▲8.60 (0.06%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,649.60 Trade time:4:35PM EDT Value change:▼0.91 (-0.06%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,459.14 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▼0.28 (-0.01%)
In The Wires
JJsHouse Is Now Providing Big Discounts On Its Bridesmaid Dresses
Online Rebates Browser Add-On Distribution Via Software Bundling Powerful Means of Distribution
Sun Damage – Are UV Rays Addictive?
Ford Plans to Hire 3,500 Workers, Reflecting Job Trends on EngineeringCrossing.com
Zamansky & Associates LLC Announces That It Is Investigating LPL Financial Over An Alleged $2 Million Theft By A Financial Advisor
Nodah.com: New Website Launch with the Best Hotels in the Top 43 Cities around the World
Playa del Rey Moving Company Provides Tips for Moving Heavy Furniture
How To Stop Drafts and Save On Home Energy Bills This Summer - New Draft Stoppers Now Available From Battic Door Energy Conservation