LULAC Held a Town Hall in Las Vegas, Nevada to Discuss How the Proposed Funding Changes in 2013 Would Further Exacerbate the Disparities Faced by Latinos
Published on Friday, 17 August 2012 19:29 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
LAS VEGAS, Aug. 17, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today, LULAC hosted a town hall with local experts to discuss how the budgets proposed by the Obama Administration and the House of Representatives would impact the Latino community. Among those who attended were Bob Coffin, Las Vegas City Councilman; and representatives from the Offices of U.S. Senator Harry Reid and Congresswoman Shelley Berkley; and Luis Valera, Vice President on Diversity Initiatives and Government Relations for the University of Las Vegas. Among those who attended, Congresswoman Shelley Berkley; Bob Coffin, Las Vegas City Councilman; and representatives from the Office of U.S. Senator Harry Reid; and Luis Valera, Vice President on Diversity Initiatives and Government Relations for the University of Las Vegas. The town hall took place at the Mirage Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada and was attended by elected officials and local residents. For those interested in watching the discussion on line, please go to http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24774876.
The discussion centered on the House approved 2013 budget and the impact of its draconian cuts to programs like Medicaid, Social Security, education and housing. Specifically, the House budget includes a 36 billion dollar cut to SNAP; a 300 million dollar decrease in funds for building new community health care facilities; and a 1.1 billion dollar cut to the Department of Education, which would eliminate both the Race to the Top and School Investment Grants. Other programs, like the Home Affordable Mortgage Program would be completely eliminated.
"A 36 billion dollar cut would have detrimental effects on American families' access to quality and affordable foods," said LULAC National President Margaret Moran. "Further, community health centers are the lifeline for many Latinos in need of access to quality and affordable health care; and cuts to the Department of Education would have a detrimental impact on our families' ability to obtain a high quality education for their children. Not only are these cuts harmful to our whole community, but they also would ultimately halt our economic recovery."
The meeting also included comments from experts on strategies for rebuilding the middle class and included recommendations for strengthening the economy through job creation, as well as, developing high quality health and education systems.
"The Latino community runs a higher risk of being scammed by fee-for-service companies as they search for help in saving their homes. It is imperative that community leaders continue informing our homeowners of the comprehensive services available, at no cost, by Financial Guidance Center and other HUD approved nonprofit agencies. Nevadans expect and deserve professional, quality service," stated Nelson Araujo, Director of Community Development with Financial Guidance Center.
"We are a community of leaders and that's why we are here today. A majority of the people that are the most impacted by budget cuts to these programs, however, are the ones that are not here today," stated Senator Kihuen. "As community leaders we need to make bigger strides in closing the information gap and work hand in hand with all segments of our community to ensure that all Latinos are an inherent part of this conversation."
The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) is the nation's largest and oldest civil rights volunteer-based organization that empowers Hispanic Americans and builds strong Latino communities. Headquartered in Washington, DC, with 900 councils around the United States and Puerto Rico, LULAC's programs, services and advocacy address the most important issues for Latinos, meeting critical needs of today and the future. For more information, visit www.lulac.org.
The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=12386
CONTACT: Paloma Zuleta 202-633-8130 x. 103
- Raytheon's latest air traffic management systems go into continuous operation at two of the world's busiest airports
- One Night Only! "Hot" Live Girls On The TV Land Stage Wednesday Night!
- Newsbyte: SAP® Solutions Transform the World's Largest Sailing Event, 2013 Kieler Woche
- Raytheon delivers mini transponders for Identification Friend or Foe on Korean Air UAV
- Hainan Airlines Named 'Best China Airline' and 'Best China Airline Staff Service' at SKYTRAX 2013 World Airline Awards
- Nova Announces Leadership Change
- Coalspur Mines Limited - Board approves Vista project with development capital of C$458M for 6 Mtpa capacity
- Aegon to Provide Update on its Strategic Transformation and Progress Toward its 2015 Targets
- SPS Spindle Launches Onsite Taper Grinding
- Domainia Inc Announces the Launch of Yogadomainia.com, a Pre-registration and Awareness Solution for the New .YOGA gTLD
Related Partner Headlines
- Petronas Posts 30% Decline In Q2 Net Profit - Benzinga
- Mail.Ru H1 Net Profit Rises 54.3% - Benzinga
- Advanced Medical H1 Pretax Profit Surges 72% - Benzinga
- Markets Jump After FOMC Comments on Easing - Benzinga
- Feel the Energy and Excitement of the Forex & Options Expo in Las Vegas - Benzinga
- Amazon's Living Social Stake Sees Value Decline - Benzinga
- Fender Withdraws IPO - Benzinga
- Benzinga Market Primer, Friday July 6: Non-Farm Payrolls Edition - Benzinga
- An Introduction to Forex Trading - Benzinga
- Benzinga Market Primer, Friday June 22 - Benzinga
Recent Trading Ideas
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,318.23 Trade time:4:34PM EDT Value change:▲138.38 (0.91%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,651.81 Trade time:4:34PM EDT Value change:▲12.77 (0.78%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,482.18 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▲30.05 (0.87%)
In The Wires
LDK Solar Announces Worldwide Extension and Advanced Features of Warranty Insurance
Tetragon Financial Group Limited (TFG) Announcement
Ektron And Rackspace Collaborate To Deliver Enterprise Hybrid Cloud Hosting To Customers
Raytheon's Satellite Air Navigation System marks 10 years of continuous service in the US
Raytheon's latest air traffic management systems go into continuous operation at two of the world's busiest airports
One Night Only! "Hot" Live Girls On The TV Land Stage Wednesday Night!
Newsbyte: SAP® Solutions Transform the World's Largest Sailing Event, 2013 Kieler Woche
Raytheon delivers mini transponders for Identification Friend or Foe on Korean Air UAV