Isis Pharmaceuticals To Receive $1.1 Million From Alnylam
Published on Tuesday, 23 October 2012 13:56 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
CARLSBAD, Calif., Oct. 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Isis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: ISIS) announced today that it will receive $1.1 million from Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: ALNY) as its portion of the upfront fees in Alnylam's recently announced collaboration with Genzyme. In addition, Isis has the potential to receive royalty payments and a portion of future milestone payments. Already this year, Isis has earned $2.7 million from Alnylam as a result of Alnylam's licenses that were supported by Isis' patents, further emphasizing the value of Isis' innovation and the leadership role Isis has played in the field of RNA-based technology.
"We have a broad and valuable patent estate built upon our innovations and discoveries related to RNA-based technologies that provides us with extensive protection for our drugs and our technologies. Our business strategy maximizes the value of these innovations by granting partners access to our technology for uses that are outside our key areas of focus. Using this strategy, we have been able to generate more than $400 million from the sale and licensing of our intellectual property," said B. Lynne Parshall, chief operating officer and chief financial officer at Isis.
Isis is the leading company in RNA-based technology and owns or controls more than 1,500 issued patents. As such, Isis holds patents for numerous applications of antisense technology, including RNAi, and for novel targets, such as microRNAs being developed by Regulus, which was co-founded by Isis and Alnylam. In 2004, Isis and Alnylam entered into a strategic relationship in which Alnylam obtained an exclusive license to Isis' intellectual property for double-stranded oligonucleotide therapeutics that mediate RNAi. In return, Isis received an upfront payment and financial participation in future transactions supported by Isis' patents.
ABOUT ISIS PHARMACEUTICALS, INC.
Isis is exploiting its leadership position in antisense technology to discover and develop novel drugs for its product pipeline and for its partners. Isis' broad pipeline consists of 25 drugs to treat a wide variety of diseases with an emphasis on cardiovascular, metabolic, severe and rare diseases, and cancer. Isis' partner, Genzyme, plans to commercialize Isis' lead product, KYNAMRO™, following regulatory approval. Isis' patents provide strong and extensive protection for its drugs and technology. Additional information about Isis is available at www.isispharm.com.
ISIS PHARMACEUTICALS' FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENT
This press release includes forward-looking statements regarding Isis Pharmaceuticals' business, its intellectual property estate, and the therapeutic and commercial potential of Isis' products and technologies. Any statement describing Isis' goals, expectations, financial or other projections, intentions or beliefs, including the planned commercialization of KYNAMRO, is a forward-looking statement and should be considered an at-risk statement. Such statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, particularly those inherent in the process of discovering, developing and commercializing drugs that are safe and effective for use as human therapeutics, and in the endeavor of building a business around such drugs. Isis' forward-looking statements also involve assumptions that, if they never materialize or prove correct, could cause its results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Although Isis' forward-looking statements reflect the good faith judgment of its management, these statements are based only on facts and factors currently known by Isis. As a result, you are cautioned not to rely on these forward-looking statements. These and other risks concerning Isis' programs are described in additional detail in Isis' annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011 and its most recent quarterly report on Form 10-Q, which are on file with the SEC. Copies of these and other documents are available from the Company.
In this press release, unless the context requires otherwise, "Isis," "Company," "we," "our," and "us" refers to Isis Pharmaceuticals.
Isis Pharmaceuticals® is a registered trademark of Isis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. KYNAMRO™ is a trademark of Genzyme Corporation.
SOURCE Isis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Isis Pharmaceuticals to Present at the 2013 UBS Global Healthcare Conference
- Isis Pharmaceuticals Earns $3.5 Million from Biogen Idec
- Isis Pharmaceuticals to Present at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2013 Health Care Conference
- Isis Pharmaceuticals Prices Public Offering Of Common Stock
- Isis Reports Financial Results and Highlights for First Quarter 2013
- Isis Pharmaceuticals Announces Proposed Public Offering of Common Stock
- Isis Pharmaceuticals Announces the Initiation of a Clinical Study of ISIS-STAT3 Rx in Patients with Liver Cancer
- Webcast Alert: Isis Pharmaceuticals' First Quarter 2013 Financial Results Conference Call
- Critical Alerts For Citigroup, ENSCO International, Hasbro, Isis Pharmaceuticals, and Cree Released By InvestorsObserver
- ISIS Pharmaceuticals Initiates a Clinical Study of ISIS-SMN Rx in Infants With Spinal Muscular Atrophy
Related Partner Headlines
- Alnylam, Tekmira Resolve All Litigation; Alnylam to Make $65M One-Time Payment - Benzinga
- Isis Pharmaceuticals Stock Downgraded (ISIS) - TheStreet.com
- Isis Initiates Phase 2 Study Of ISIS-FXIRX In Patients Undergoing Knee Replacement Surgery - Benzinga
- Isis Pharmaceuticals To Receive $1.1 Million From Alnylam - Benzinga
- Benzinga Mid-Morning Market Update - Benzinga
- FDA Advisory Committee Votes to Recommend Isis' KYNAMRO - Benzinga
- ISIS Pharmaceuticals Stock Trading Halted Pending FDA Panel - Benzinga
- UPDATE: Piper Jaffray Downgrades ISIS Pharmaceuticals to Neutral on FDA Briefing - Benzinga
- Intuitive Surgical and More Big Movers in Healthcare on October 16, 2012 - Investopedia
- Healthcare Stocks, Including Abbott, Making Big Moves on October 15, 2012 - Investopedia
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,335.28 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▼19.12 (-0.12%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,666.29 Trade time:4:36PM EDT Value change:▼1.18 (-0.07%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,496.43 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:▼2.54 (-0.07%)
In The Wires
Verrata™ Pressure Guide Wire and iFR® (Instant Wave-Free Ratio™) Software Modality will be on display at EuroPCR 2013
SAP to Work With Specialisterne to Employ People With Autism
Philips CX50 xMATRIX now offers world-class interventional and diagnostic features on single portable system
GigaMedia's Cloud Business Hits New Strategic Milestone: Expansion Into Government Sector
HGST Launches The Highest Capacity Hard Drive For The Mainstream Mobile Market
Social Media and Digital Agencies Will Vanish Within Ten Years
DMAi Announces Chairperson For The Convention
JJsHouse Recommends Its Best-Selling Cocktail Dresses To Customers Worldwide