Capital One Announces the 2013 Mascot Challenge Team
Published on Friday, 30 August 2013 15:34 Written by TradersHuddle Staff
New Interactive Voting Structure Gives Fans Creative Ways to Vote for Their Favorite Mascot
MCLEAN, Va., Aug. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Who would win in a showdown – a pirate or a Spartan? Is a wildcat or a tiger the tougher feline? What happens when a badger goes head-to-head with a ram? The 2013 Capital One Mascot Challenge is here and 16 revered college mascots will compete against one another urging fans to support their favorite mascot throughout weekly head-to-head competitions.
This year and for the first time in Mascot Challenge history, Capital One is providing fans three ways to support their favorite mascot. As in years past, fans can click "vote now" to earn one point for their spirit-filled hero. But why stop there? Show your love for your favorite mascot by completing the weekly 25-point challenge by posting some witty goodness on Facebook or Twitter. If you are willing to go all-out for your favorite mascot, complete the weekly 100-point challenge. It's a true test of your mascot pride. Upload a photo or video as evidence and Capital One will add 100 points to your mascot's total. Capital One has taken the Capital One Mascot Challenge to a whole new playing field. How far will you go?
The mascots in contention come from all parts of the football landscape – from the coast of Oregon, to the mountains of Colorado to the bayou of Louisiana. The 2013 All-America Capital One Mascot Challenge team includes:
- Raider Red of Texas Tech University - 2012 Winner
- Baldwin the Eagle of Boston College
- Big Jay of The University of Kansas
- Big Red of Western Kentucky University – Hall of Fame Inductee
- Bucky Badger of The University of Wisconsin–Madison
- Cam the Ram of Colorado State University
- Hokie Bird of Virginia Tech
- Mike the Tiger of Louisiana State University
- Monte of The University of Montana – 2002 & 2004 Winner
- Pee Dee the Pirate of East Carolina University
- Rocky the Bull of The University of South Florida
- Rocky the Rocket of The University of Toledo -2012 Write-In Winner
- Smokey of The University of Tennessee
- Sparty of Michigan State University
- The Duck of The University of Oregon
- Wilbur T. Wildcat of The University of Arizona
New challenges and new matchups are announced every Monday. This week's 25 point challenge is to write a cheerleader-style cheer for their mascot of choice and submit to Facebook and Twitter using the appropriate, mascot specific hashtag. For the 100 points challenge, fans must film/photograph themselves doing the cheer in public. Fans can submit their votes and/or content at www.CapitalOneBowl.com.
"Mascots are the center of school spirit at colleges across the nations," said Marc Mentry, Senior Vice President of Advertising and Creative at Capital One. "With the added layer of fan challenges to this year's program, we are looking forward to seeing the enthusiasm, support and humor shine through for their favored mascots and schools."
College football expert Phil Steele will once again create the annual Mascot, a weekly power ranking of all 16 mascots and their statistical chances to win the overall title.
Voting is now open and will continue weekly through December 15, 2013. Fans can visit www.CapitalOneBowl.com for all voting information as well as engage with the Mascots and other fans at www.Facebook.com/MascotChallenge and www.Twitter.com/Capital1Mascot.
The Capital One National Mascot of the Year will be crowned at the Capital One Bowl on January 1, 2014. The winning school will be awarded a $20,000 scholarship toward its mascot program. Each participating Capital One All-America mascot's school will also receive $5,000 for their respective mascot program.
Fans that do not see their favorite mascot in the program this year are encouraged to log on to www.CapitalOneBowl.com and submit a write-in vote for their school's mascot to potentially be a part of the 2014 Capital One Mascot Challenge.
About Capital One
Capital One Financial Corporation (www.capitalone.com) is a financial holding company whose subsidiaries, which include Capital One, N.A., and Capital One Bank (USA), N. A., had $209.9 billion in deposits and $296.5 billion in total assets as of June 30, 2013. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, Capital One offers a broad spectrum of financial products and services to consumers, small businesses and commercial clients through a variety of channels. Capital One, N.A. has more than 900 branch locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. A Fortune 500 company, Capital One trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "COF" and is included in the S&P 100 index.
Capital One, an NCAA Corporate Champion, began its affiliation with college sports with the sponsorship of the 2001 Capital One Florida Citrus Bowl (now the Capital One Bowl) and ESPN's Capital One Bowl Week. In addition, Capital One sponsors the ABC College Football Halftime Report, Capital One All-America Mascot team, Capital One Academic All-America Program, and supports all 89 NCAA Championships including the Division I Men's and Women's Basketball Championships, and numerous other collegiate athletics programs.
NCAA is a trademark owned or licensed by the National Collegiate Athletic Association. All other licenses or trademarks are property of their respective holders.
SOURCE Capital One
- CenturyLink wins FCC cloud contract
- Savvis Adds Aquis Exchange to Global Network of Venues
- CenturyLink gives Seahawks fans the ultimate home seat advantage
- Outdated video retransmission rules inhibit pay TV competition, hurt consumers
- SIX Financial Information Expands Hosting Presence with Savvis
- CenturyLink to Participate in Analyst Conference
- CenturyLink Declares Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Is CenturyLink Close to Support?
- Savvis and VMware to expand VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ locations and deliver complementary hybrid cloud solutions
- CenturyLink Broke Support
Related Partner Headlines
Recent Trading Ideas
Latest Partner Headlines