Finding The Best Fund Manager
Published on Monday, 19 March 2012 23:41 Written by Greg McFarlane
You're a responsible investor, striking the appropriate balance between aggression and conservatism when deciding where to place your money. So, that means you do what the textbooks recommend, and you buy shares of a mutual fund; but the choices can be overwhelming.
The Investment Company Institute, a trade association for mutual fund companies, notes that there are over 7,000 active mutual funds in the United States at any given time. Each fund has a professional manager, if not a management team, which makes the prospect of finding the best available manager a daunting one. What criteria do you use? Pedigree? Education? Reputation? Of course, none of that is quite as important as results.
We've all seen the news stories about monkeys in the zoo that pick stocks as successfully as (at least some) professional fund managers do. The dirty little secret of investment management is that, unlike almost any other field of quantifiable endeavor, the same names don't necessarily predominate year in and year out. This year's big winner might not be next year's big loser, but there's no guarantee it'll stay on top, either. For instance, Morgan Stanley's Focus Growth Fund was among the best-performing mutual funds of 2010. It gained over 23% that year, or almost double what the S&P 500 did.
That comes with a qualification. Dividing one entity's gain by another's and coming up with a number close to 2 doesn't necessarily mean that the former performed twice as well as the latter. If we're looking at prices, rather than just the increases in those prices, we have to include the original levels, before conducting our comparison.
© Investopedia.com Copyright 2012, Investopedia US, a ValueClick Company. All rights reserved.
- Key Levels for Vmware
- Is Verizon Expecting Resistance Soon?
- Key Levels for US Airways
- Apple Is Dipping Below Support
- Walgreen Is Near a Key Resistance Area
- Near Key Levels: Philip Morris
- Merck Is Near its 50 Day Moving Average
- Subsea Pipeline of Zhuhai Terminal Has Been Restored
- SoCalGas Helps Customers Save 20 Percent on Monthly Natural Gas Bills
- Monaco Telecom and Global Carrier Level 3 Sign a Strategic Agreement for International Connectivity
Related Partner Headlines
- Petronas Posts 30% Decline In Q2 Net Profit - Benzinga
- Mail.Ru H1 Net Profit Rises 54.3% - Benzinga
- Advanced Medical H1 Pretax Profit Surges 72% - Benzinga
- Markets Jump After FOMC Comments on Easing - Benzinga
- Feel the Energy and Excitement of the Forex & Options Expo in Las Vegas - Benzinga
- Amazon's Living Social Stake Sees Value Decline - Benzinga
- Fender Withdraws IPO - Benzinga
- Benzinga Market Primer, Friday July 6: Non-Farm Payrolls Edition - Benzinga
- An Introduction to Forex Trading - Benzinga
- Benzinga Market Primer, Friday June 22 - Benzinga
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,112.19 Trade time:4:52PM EDT Value change:▼206.04 (-1.35%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,628.93 Trade time:4:52PM EDT Value change:▼22.88 (-1.39%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,443.20 Trade time:5:15PM EDT Value change:0.00 (0.00%)
In The Wires
Men's Wearhouse Declares Quarterly Cash Dividend
One-Third of Companies Have Missed Revenue Goals in the Last Year
Subsea Pipeline of Zhuhai Terminal Has Been Restored
SoCalGas Helps Customers Save 20 Percent on Monthly Natural Gas Bills
Monaco Telecom and Global Carrier Level 3 Sign a Strategic Agreement for International Connectivity
Dick Lubic Joins RACE Communications
Porsche Boxster Becomes the New Buzz in Town, Reports Gaadi.com
Food Emulsifier’s Market to reach $2,858.6 Million By 2018 - New Report by MarketsandMarkets