Playing the Setup in BP
Published on Friday, 05 October 2012 08:12 Written by TradersHuddle Wire
New York, October 5th (TradersHuddle.com) - BP plc (NYSE:BP) closed the trading day at $42.57, near its 50 day and 200 day moving averages currently set at $42.20 and $42.57 respectively. BP's price action placed the stock above these important levels, which could translate into a trading opportunity.
BP plc (NYSE:BP) is an oil and petrochemicals company. The integrated oil company explores for and produces oil and natural gas, refines, markets, and supplies petroleum products, generates solar energy, and manufactures and markets chemicals. BP was founded in 1889 and is headquartered in London, UK.
Although, the price is above important moving averages, it's important to highlight that this is not a prime setup for buying the dip strategy, as the 50 day moving average is currently below the 200 day moving average.
The peaks and troughs algorithm shows calculated support at $39.50 and resistance at $44.16. These levels should also be evaluated by traders when planning their next move, as they provide an insight into the latest price action.
If traders want to establish a long position in BP, it will certainly be better to wait, given that the stock is technically broken with the 50 day moving average trading below the 200 day moving average. Traders can also look at the current range defined by the peaks and troughs to establish a short trade versus those levels.
- Reference Points for BP
- Is BP Closing in to Resistance?
- BP Is Close to Resistance
- BP Is Close to Resistance
- BP Broke Resistance
- Critical Alerts For BP, News Corp., Yamana Gold, Align Technology, and Louisiana Pacific Released By InvestorsObserver
- Trading Idea: Entry Levels for BP
- BP is Near a Key Support Area
- Plains Pipeline Prevails in Houston Indemnity Lawsuit, Awarded $450,000 in Legal Fees
- The Range Is Tightening in BP
Related Partner Headlines
- BP Wins Bids for Four Nova Scotia, Canada Deepwater Exploration Blocks - Benzinga
- BP Gets Biggest Criminal Fine After Biggest U.S. Oil Spill - TheStreet.com
- Stocks Flat as Jobless Claims Surge, Wal-Mart Misses on Sales - TheStreet.com
- BP Near Settlement on Gulf Disaster: Hot Trends - TheStreet.com
- Stock Futures Rise Ahead of Jobless Claims, Wal-Mart - TheStreet.com
- BP Confirms DoJ Settlement, Includes $4B Paid in Installments - Benzinga
- Stocks to Watch: BP, Wal-Mart, Target, Dell - TheStreet.com
- BP PLC (BP): Today's Featured Basic Materials Laggard - TheStreet.com
- BP Stock To Go Ex-dividend Tomorrow (BP) - TheStreet.com
- Cramer's Top Stock Picks: PXP HAIN DIS - TheStreet.com
Recent Trading Ideas
Is Priceline.com Coming Down?
Google Is Near a Key Resistance Area
Above Resistance: United Technologies
Trading Idea: What to Expect as Devon Energy Breaks Resistance
Micron Technology Is Near a Key Resistance Area
IMAX Is Moving Above Resistance
Trading Idea: - Is Bank of America close to Resistance?
Latest Partner Headlines
Dow Today: Verizon Communications (VZ) Higher - TheStreet.com
Separating the Bargains From the Busts - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: The 60-Inch TV Will Be Key This Holiday - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Cisco Wins If Fiscal Cliff Is Resolved - TheStreet.com
Gap Up and Sit - TheStreet.com
Apple, Intel, MicroStrategy: Tech Winners & Losers - TheStreet.com
Windows 8 PC Sales Disappointing: Report - TheStreet.com
Cramer Quick Take: Buy Home Depot and Lowe's - TheStreet.com
Dow JonesCompany ID [INDEXDJX:.DJI] Last trade:15,415.72 Trade time:2:41PM EDT Value change:▲80.44 (0.52%)
S&P 500Company ID [INDEXSP:.INX] Last trade:1,672.51 Trade time:2:41PM EDT Value change:▲6.22 (0.37%)
NASDAQCompany ID [INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC] Last trade:3,505.96 Trade time:2:41PM EDT Value change:▲9.53 (0.27%)
In The Wires
LKA Gold Deliveries From Exploration Program Up 90% Over Year-Ago Period.
RBC and Golf Canada announce Ronald McDonald House Charities Canada as the official charity partner for the RBC Canadian Open
Quest Diagnostics Declares Quarterly Cash Dividend
Few Alaska Airlines Flights Affected by Volcanic Activity in Alaska
JW Marriott New Orleans Teams Up With Sterling Vineyards for an Unforgettable Wine Dinner May 22
Microsoft unveils Xbox One: the ultimate all-in-one home entertainment system
Microsoft and National Football League announce multiyear landmark partnership to enhance the game for fans, players and coaches
GDT Tek is officially an Industry Partner with the EPA-CHP